Baby shower gift for mom?

My SIL is currently TTC which got me scouring the net for things I can make for the baby, or for the baby shower, if she does get pregnant.

This morning, I decided to try searching for gifts for the mom, because they often are forgotten. The last time I tried searching for that, nothing great came up. But this time I think I found something that will be invaluable.

It says to get these things, and still get a normal gift, well duh. But give them the gift for them in private, because it could be embarrassing.

You find a nice basket or gift bag, and put in in stuff she will use after the baby comes, but these are things strictly for her. Like extra absorbent maxi pads, hemorrhoid suppositories and pads/wipes, small plastic squirt bottle, epsom salt, cotton balls, witch hazel, a donut for sitting.

And also write a note or not. Suggesting what to do with some not so self explanatory items.

mom_love07

Asked by mom_love07 at 10:20 AM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If she gets pregnant will this be her first child?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• that doesnt sound like a bad idea at all... but me personally, i would do things more like a nice robe, lotions, magazines... stuff like that
    lilianasmom1116

Answer by lilianasmom1116 at 10:26 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• IF this is her first, I would do that, but I would also add something like a nice "sexy" nightgown, or something like that. If it isn't her first, she might be offended, as if she didnt know what to do with them, etc. But you are the one who knows her, so you'll know better than the rest of us :-) Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• This is a business started by a friend of mine, but the recovery bags sound like the perfect gift. Check them out.

http://lisamillerwellness.com/category/most-recent/products/#one
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:40 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Honestly I would not have wanted that gift. For one thing, I normally use tampons so I am really picky when it comes to pads. I'd rather pick out my own. Secondly, the hemorrhoid pads and two squirt bottles I got from the hospital. I would rather have gotten nursing pads, a nursing tank, and nipple cream.
    If you are handy with a sewing machine, my MIL made receiving blankets that are way better than the store bought ones. They are way bigger and my daughter is 7.5 months old and I am still using them. She also made us burp cloths that, again, are better than any you can buy at Babies R Us, Target, etc. And all they are is two pieces of flannel sewn together and shaped so that the part that goes on your shoulder is kind of narrow, and then the part on your chest/back is bigger. Here is a picture of my daughter laying on one of the burp cloths.
    http://christinatimsphotosite.shutterfly.com/coraline/101
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:40 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I used maxi pads, but nothing else that you mentioned. I have 3 kids. I think a gift certificate for a pedicure would be nice. Offer to watch the baby so she could go.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:42 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• My sister got me a nice robe : )
    *I also only used the pads (from your list)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:07 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I never used any of that stuff but the pads. I got an amazing gift that I loved- it had bath salts, moisture milk, a cold mask to put on your eyes, lotion, and herbal teas. It was so nice and I used everything!
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 11:39 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• The best gifts for mom is spa treatments..like massages, nails, or hair.....ooohhh or a hot stone pedicure.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:50 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• ooh, i think mompam's idea is great! i got most of that stuff from the hospital. I think something relaxing would be much nicer, rather than medical supplies..
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 11:51 AM on Apr. 6, 2010