when pregnant, ultrasounds usually are taken when at the doctors, but are 3D ultra sounds included, and are they free? if so how far along will i have to be to get one.

mommytobe822

Asked by mommytobe822 at 11:15 AM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Mine were not covered under insurance since they were not necessary (similar to cosmetic surgery). It only cost $80 though so I paid for it. I also waited until 27 weeks so I could get some good views of her.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:24 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• My insurance covered them for us.I had mine done at 20 weeks.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:17 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• most insurance will not cover 3d ultrasounds since they are not medically necessary for standard care
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• i do not believe insurance will pay for 3d ultrasounds, it is something you do just for fun to see what the baby looks like. most places that do them start around $100 and up depending on what package you get, and usually you should be around 24+ weeks to get a really good view of the baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• My insurance didn't cover them, they cost $200 in Seattle
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 11:50 AM on Apr. 6, 2010

• My insurance covered them, but that's because it's standard at my dr's office. I've had to have multiple ultrasounds done due to some health issues with both my 4th and now my 5th pregnancies and they will usually flip the switch over to the 3D at least for a few minutes with each one but I only got CDs of the pics at my 20th week and 32nd weeks, but they did printed pics of the 3D at each visit. You don't get a really good view until at least the 20th week. If you're going to pay for one, they usually recommend you wait until close to 30 weeks I think.

Answer by missanc at 12:01 PM on Apr. 6, 2010