Catholics, seriously, are any of you actually pro molestation?

Really is there a Catholic out there that doesn't want the church to do more to protect the kids?

What? With Holy Week did the media find it prime time to do a little Catholic bashing? social board after social board there is always some idiot that acts as if every priest is a molester or covers up molestation.

What gets me the most is the way it is portrayed as if 99% of abuse is done in the Catholic Church and the pope knew all about it. Silly me, I would think people would like to hear about millions of aid money to sent to quake victims and helping woman but that isn't fun to talk about.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• People love to harp on other's problems. Every instance of a Catholic priest behaving in any way immoral is not accepted by the church. People like to turn it into something it's not, though.

It's just an image thing. Every religion deals with it. That's why all Muslims are terrorists and all Christians are hypocrits. Apparently all Catholics are child molestors as well, eh?
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 12:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• My last pastor (he's retired now) even talked about it during one of his homilies. It was something like 2% of priests that were guilty of doing it.
    I know, the media and others portray us to all be involved in the cover up or something. I don't let it bother me - Jesus said we would suffer persecution.
    I've known some wonderful, holy priests who are just getting lumped in with these bad apples. It's sad.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 12:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• "It's just an image thing. Every religion deals with it. That's why all Muslims are terrorists and all Christians are hypocrits. Apparently all Catholics are child molestors as well, eh?"

I was going to say almost the exact same thing! : ) I think it's sad that the media has to find things wrong with certain religious groups. What purpose does it serve? By harping on Muslim extremists, they are making all Muslims out to be evil. By harping on the child molestation cases within the Catholic Church, they are making all Catholics (or at least all Catholic priests) out to be molesters, or at least to be people who do not care about the well-being of children. Forget about any good these groups do in the name of their religion, the bad stuff sells better. I think the saddest thing was a story I read on here yesterday about how a priest was ridiculed while waiting in a doctor's office. People are disgusting.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• What is the truth and is obvious is that the priests who are molesting children aren't censored or defrocked. Once their crimes are discovered they are simply removed from their current parish sent on to new parishes and new victims. Nearly every single one has been allowed to keep their titles and authority within the church. The abuse doesn't stop. The victims are not protected. Indeed their OWN families are so brainwashed by church dogma and the role of priests as god's vicars on earth that they tend to think their child is lying when they talk about the abuse. With so many catholic families just sitting back and protecting the priests, is it any wonder that someone, somewhere, is going to ask. DO catholics approve of child molestation??? All the signs seemed to be pointing to one very uncomfortable answer.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:28 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• All the signs seemed to be pointing to one very uncomfortable answer.

and what is that answer? come one witch. what are you calling and saying is the view of all the Catholics?
    Anonymous

• Ok that is just silly. No Catholics in general are not pro-molesting. However if you knew how the law and legal departments work you would know that they will crack on an entire group innocent ones to. They do this because it helps get the innocent ones to come forward and turn in the guilty. They resort to this when nothing else gives them a break. It works 99.9% of the time. When all is said and done the bad guys are locked up and the good guys are cleared. It is simple weeding out the crap and the most affective way to do it. I fully agree with it being done and if the innocent want their name cleared the church needs to hand over the guilty. So blame the church not the media. In some thing like this the media are under order.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

I've known some wonderful, holy priests who are just getting lumped in with these bad apples. It's sad

I agree, it is sad. I know so many priest and nuns who are wonderful Catholics
    Anonymous

• I believe it is such a BIG issue with Catholic priest because they are suppose to be really BIG on no sex. It being part of a vow they took. It also doesn't help that historically with the castrato's, there was A LOT of past abuse toward children in choirs. (Castrato is :A male singer who has been castrated before puberty to preserve the soprano or contralto range of his voice; supported by a man's lungs, the voice was powerful, agile and penetrating. Castratos were used in the Roman Catholic Church for more than 300 years and occupied a dominant place in opera in the 17th and 18th centuries. This was largely done because at the time women were not allowed to sing in the choir.)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Now I know not only has the Vatican officially apologized for this, but it leaves people on a sour note, and with members of their church forsaking their vows and again abusing children, it brings up all the damage the leaders have done to children.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• What I can't stand is the way people think that merely being Catholic means one condones this kind of atrocity. I'm not even Catholic (anymore), and I still find myself wanting to say that someone can agree with the doctrine and the faith without agreeing with the actions of the fallible men involved in the faith. Those men may make up the current institution, in terms of being those who are the leaders of the church, but they do not make up the faith. The actions of those fallible men, while hideous and wrong, do not change the religious system of Catholicism, nor do they invalidate the faith or stand as a reason for people to turn their backs on the truth that resonates with them. To try to blame Catholicism, a belief system, for the actions of mere men is immature, IMO. The system isn't bound to the actions of those men, esp. since the actions which appall us so greatly aren't even part of the faith to begin with...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2010