Neopagans who follow a specific cultural tradition

If you follow a specific cultural tradition (Norse, Egyptian, Irish, etc.) would you choose to live in those areas if it were easy for you to make that choice?

While I know that the concept behind an Earth goddess is universal and the name and specific characteristics (cultural identity) that you choose to identify with is valid wherever you physically are, I often wonder if connecting to that pantheon wouldn't be easier and more fulfilling in the place where a lot of energy was put into them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• In my experience it was much easier to connect when I was in that area, yes. Now that I am in a completely different country, climate and scenery I find it difficult to connect like I did before. I have tried looking in to local deities/pantheons but they just don't speak to me like the old ones do/did.
    Anonymous

• Some of the places where the faith originated don't have much religious freedom. The current political climates in many places would prevent me from moving on reasons of faith.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:17 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Yes, I would love to move to Hawaii...but DH says there's too much racism against Whites there.

So instead of worshiping Pele in her home by one of her Volcanos...I worship her with my backyard BBQ, and worship Gaia in my garden.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:43 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I would LOOOOOve to be in Ireland. I am drawn to the Celtic symbolism and magick.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I would love to worship in Greece! But I feel the term NeoPagan is not correct, and misleading. Paganism is not new, and what I follow is older than many of today's religions. Also, many people in my family have been practicing for decades, as have the other Pagans here and elsewhere.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 5:34 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Yeah, neo-paganism is pretty much the opposite of reconstructionists who practice a single ancient religion. I would love at some point to travel to see where all my ancestors used to be, but for now I have to settle for Google maps. And while it would be nice to live there in theory, the reality of how life is in those countries is a far cry from traditional belief. A friend of mine moved there, not for religious reasons, just because he married someone who was originally born there. His live as a "resident alien" was a living hell. He was treated worse than we treat illegals here. They moved back to the US after a year.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2010