Potty training help!

With my son I waited until he turned 3 to potty train him then I put him in cloth training pants and he got the idea in about a week. He still had a lot of accidents for a while but he had the basic idea and it seemed really quick and easy.
Now my daughter is almost 2 1/2. she's taking her diaper off all the time, she tells me every time she is wet or poopy and often tries to change herself, which is a real problem especially when she takes off poopy diapers. I put her in cloth training pants but she just continues to go in them like a diaper and then tell me as soon as she's done. She won't ever tell me before she goes. If I sit her on the potty and have her try she never goes. We'll sit there for 20 minutes reading books and singing. I've run water, I've poured water over her, she never goes until her pants are back on. I don't know what to do. I bought her gummy bears to earn but she hasn't been able to earn them. help!

mybella81

Asked by mybella81 at 12:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does she seem upset when she wets her underwear? If she really couldn't care less, she may not be ready to train. When I trained my daughter, all it took were 2 accidents and she started using the potty because she totally freaked out that pee was running down her leg! One thing that really helped me was leaving my daughter alone in the bathroom to do her business. I too was reading to her for 15-20 minutes at a time and she wouldn't do anything. When I started telling her I'd be right back and stand by the bathroom door where she couldn't see me, then she started peeing every time I put her on.
    lilac83

Answer by lilac83 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I would put her in regular underwear and a shirt and cancel your plans for a few days. Watch her closely, keep the potty close by. Instead of her telling you when she's done, you'll see her start to have an accident. As quickly as you can, move her to the potty, explaining that pee pee goes in there. If a little makes it in, give her lots of praise and a small reward if you wish. Don't have her sitting on the potty just waiting. If you wait for her to start to pee, but make sure she finishes there, she will get what she's supposed to do much more quickly.

Here's a description of the method we used, hope it helps:
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/562/forums/read/4235060/3_Day_Potty_Training_Post
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2010