Honest Christians ...

If you truly felt in your heart that God was giving you a command to kill an infant child, would you do it?
and please do not say "i know God would not give me such a command" because we know that's not true. We know that's not true because God has given such a command to others before and also because no one knows what God will do.
...So, would you do ANYTHING to be with God?

- Faithful4ever

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• If one is a Christian truly then one believes that the sacrifice of Christ is the ultimate sacrifice that washes away all sins. Christ is the new covenant and God will never ask any greater sacrifice of His people. -- A true Christian believes this because it is the word of God as explained in the Gospels. A true Christian would know that any voice requesting that s/he commit a blood sacrifice is not God.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• You must be referring to Abraham and Isaac. God also stopped him. It was a test, a test to see if Abraham loved God more than even his own family. So your argument kind of falls flat there. Yes, I would do anything for God. He has our best interests at heart.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 12:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• yes i would do anything 4 the LOrd and agree with brookebella
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• The argument does not fail there, even if that is the only instance she is referring to, because Abraham did not know God would stop him and so you would also not know if God would stop you. You would have to commit to doing it and hope that God was also testing you rather than actually wanting you to kill an infant.
    Anonymous

• Then, I guess this question was designed to start something, an argument rather than a healthy debate. You would do well to read the book of Job. He was tested in an entirely different way. If God did that to me, yes, I would still love and believe in him.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 12:55 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Well in the ten commandment it say thou shall not kill and God gave thoughs after Abraham and Isaac, so I feel that killing anyone is against God's whishes. So if I felt that God wanted me to kill someone I would check myself into a mental hospital
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 1:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Not trying to start a debate. ...just wanting to see how far others would go for God.

and i was not referring to Abraham and Job. I kinda had in mind to passage that i had posted the other day.

Thus says the Lord of hosts, “I will punish the Amalekites for what they did in opposing the Israelites when they came up out of Egypt. 3Now go and attack Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have; do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.” ’

But of course, it does not matter WHY He told you to do it. The point is you feel God is asking you to KILL an INNOCENT infant, would you do it?

-Faithful4ever
    Anonymous

• And I explained why that was done as well in that same post . There is a different between God testing Abraham and Job and God getting rid of an evil generation of Amakalites... He was actually testing Saul in that passage to see where Saul's heart was at with the Lord. Obedience is the key here in all these stories. Because of Saul's disobedience he lost his kingdom. God sees the bigger picture here that many of us do not understand. As I explained the King of the Amakalites had relations and the child born was Haman who was a very very evil and wicked man who wanted to kill GOD'S people the Jews. It was Esther who was used to turn that around and Haman was finally killed.
    If God told me to kill yes I would obey however we do not live in OT times but in NT times ... the season of Grace and Mercy... Jesus took upon himself everything so we wouldnt have to kill and such but that we can have a love (agape) continued
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• relationship with Him for eternity. Everything that was done in the bible had a purpose... we just cannot see the full picture of God's plan.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:07 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• What people don't understand, is God can not go against his word, Isaac was God's chosen one to bring about Abraham's seed you have to fully understand Abraham and Sarah's story first.  Isaac was God's promise and God was not about to take away that from Abraham and Abraham knew that.  I don't fully understand why God asked that of Abraham.  But Abraham knew God would intervene.  God didn't ask him just to sacrifice any old child, He asked him to sacrifice the child that was promised to Abraham and was to bring about the many generations of Abraham's seed.  Which Isaac could not do that if he was dead.  There is so much more too that story than face value.  

But to answer your question No I would not.

Anonymous