Mentally retarded

Since everyone seems to be so concerned with using "correct" terms for things like calling a deceased person a "corpse", how do you feel about using the term "mentally retarded or retarded"?

legalmommy101

Asked by legalmommy101 at 12:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• lol legalmommy u never cease to make me lmao
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 1:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Mentally retarded is a medical term. But you don't decribe someone as a retard.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 1:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• here is the fact. a lifeless body is called a corpse. there is nothing degrading about the term. i guess someone who disliked the idea of a persons death decided that the term used for that state was also offensive, even though it's the proper term. retardation has three different levels; mild, moderate, and severe. a person who is mildly retarded it high functioning and can take care of themselves and have an iq of roughly 70. moderately retarded individuals cannot live alone but they can communicate and perform regular tasks for themselves, they have an iq of roughly 40. severely retarded individuals cannot take care of themselves nor can they communicate, they have an iq of roughly 15. these are the correct medical terms for all of these conditions
    Anonymous

• I don't care at all about correct terms...except in cases where the person has a disibility. I hate it when people say "retards" or "tards" and stuff like that. Its so rude and disrespectful. Mentally challenged or mentally retarded is perfectly acceptable as long as you are referring to someone who actually is...not name calling. But what's the big deal with saying dead person? Or deceased? Who freaking cares! So many people much such a stink about using the correct terms for things blah blah blah...that energy would be better used if directed elsewhere.
    Anonymous

• *is high functioning
    Anonymous

• Those terms have been adopted by mean people as a way of calling names so in my book, they are completely unnacceptable and forbidden in my home. Especially when you call a person "retarded" or say "thats retarded"
    The acceptable term is a person with developmental disabilities and it is important to say it in that order. They are a person first, who happen to have a disability. Their disability does not define them.

It is not a matter of "correct" terms. (on medical papers, retardation is still used as a diagnosis) but a matter of showing restraint and respect for those around you. If you cant wrap your head around the fact that calling a deceased baby a corpse is somewhat morbid and incredibly unsesitive to that baby's parents, then you are seriously lacking in the compassion and social skills department.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• "It is not a matter of "correct" terms. (on medical papers, retardation is still used as a diagnosis) but a matter of showing restraint and respect for those around you. If you cant wrap your head around the fact that calling a deceased baby a corpse is somewhat morbid and incredibly unsesitive to that baby's parents, then you are seriously lacking in the compassion and social skills department. :

I agree!!
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 1:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I think the term now is Developmentally Disabled. My state just went through and changed the wording on all of their agencies. They went from DMR (Department of Mental Retardation) to DDS (Department of Developmental Services). I used to work with the developmentally disabled and the higher functioning adults advocated and petitioned the State to change the term. I fully support the changing of the terms and the individuals in their efforts for fair treatment.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Well you know here lately I've actually been hearing terms like "What is she schizo or something?" and other misuses of the mental disability schizophrenia. Are we going to change the name of that disability as well? I hear that misused MORE than the word retarded. I mean people have loved ones that are schizophrenic and might be offended by the misuse of the word.

When do we draw the line with politically correct terms?
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I think it's fine. Some people are retarded, so I'm going to use the word. Call me a bitch, I won't cry, especially if I'm acting like one.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:51 PM on Apr. 6, 2010