Underhanded job cutback tactics

Scenario -

You are working at a company that is facing massive cutback. But instead of laying people off, the QA (quality assessment) is heightened to make life uncomfortable to encourage employees to quit or get fired to avoid unemployment compensation and layoff taxes. Would you quit if jobs are hard to find, or would you stick out the job?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Stick it out.
    Anonymous

• Stick it out.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• It depends how bad they made it for me.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• My husband in going through this right now. They asked for people to take early retirement but most can't afford to. The now brought in inspectors to watch your every move. It's a sleazy way to run a business.

Anonymous

• What a sh*tty thing to do. I would think that in certain states that if they don't apply this rule across the board and only apply it to certain employees that this could be considered constructive discharge and they would be eligible for benefits even if they quit (that is, if they can prove constructive discharge).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• anon, your DH should document how much time they are watching him compared to the other employees.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I have NEVER heard of a layoff tax.

Unemployment insurance premiums have already been paid so why would they try to avoid having the employees file for the benefits??

Please clear that up?? I googled Layoff tax, couldnt find anything.

Sounds to me like they want to know which employees dont pull their weight, and QA is watching to see which should be let go.
    Anonymous

• That is standard practice at my old job, and economy is irrelevant. It's how they get rid of non-Christians, gays and anyone else who doesn't fit in their narrow little world view. They never outright fire people unless they have a concrete job performance issue, but if you refuse to go to the Christmas party sermon or are open and out, you suddenly find your work being scruitinized, extra mandatory overtime piled on and constant meetings about your "attitude." Eventually people get so stressed out they quit.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:51 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• IF you are fired, they still have to pay unemployment. They can't "make" someone quit.
    Anonymous

• Anon :59 No, you get unemployment if you are laid off due to 'no work" or a few other reasons, not if your fired.
    Anonymous