Are egg laying chickens easy to raise and care for?

We live on 4 acres and we have a small barn. It is set up with a coop for chickens. The kids would like to get some. I've never experienced raising them or taking care of them before. Is it pretty simple? About how much does it cost? Can you sell the eggs...how many eggs do chickens produce? Like 1 a day? lol. Yeah, I have lots of questions about it, thats why I'm doing s little research first before I agree to something I may regret later on,lol.

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 1:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Pets

• My sister raised one in her 1st grade class a couple years ago. Since she brought it home, my mom and dad have kept between 4 and 5 in a little coop. They're easy as pie. Just make sure they have water at all times, and when they get to the age where they're laying, you can let them out into the yard during the day to eat bugs, (ticks, grasshoppers, ants, other pests) and lure them back to the coop at night with some "scratch". If you have dogs, I wouldn't let them out, but if not, I'd give them run of the yard to eat the bugs! They are probably the only critter on the farm that you can keep to always break even on costs. The costs of feeding them will eventually even out with the savings on eggs for the family, and if you can get quite a few going at once, you can put a sign out in front of your house, "Farm Fresh Eggs" and sell them $1/dz. Before long, you may get 2-3 eggs per hen per day. When it gets cold out, fill the
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 4:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• "Egg Laying Chickens" .. You mean "Hens" ..
    I'm not trying to be rude, I just wanted to clarify that before you get into the business.
    It helps to know the lingo, so to speak.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I have some friends that raise mostly bantom chickens. They are smaller and lay smaller eggs. They love it and have not had an problems with raising them. They did do alot of research before hand though before deciding on the type of chickens they wanted.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• coop with hay, and make sure they always have water to get to. If they don't have water, they won't lay.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 4:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Raising a few hens is fairly easy. If you have no experience, start with pullets (young hens almost ready to lay), or older laying hens. They need a coop that is predator proof if you aren't free ranging them, fresh clean water at all times, and a decent laying feed (Layena is ok). They eat a lot of bugs, worms, and just about any veggie/fruit scraps except citrus. I tie a cabbage up like a tether ball for mine to eat and play with. You don't need a roo unless you want to hatch eggs as well as eat them.

Check out http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/index.php ~ they have answers to almost any chicken question you can think of there, a lot of pictures and good advice.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2010