Why do they give driver licenses to people who don't speak English?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• They will not longer be doing this. You now have to have all kinds of things when renewing your licence that proves you are American. I had a friend who JUST renewed her license. They made her go home the first day because she did not bring her birth certificate & marriage licence. They NEVER required those things before, just youre old ID.

I also have a friend who cannot renew his licence because he has not proof that he is American (he is not, he is illegal) So, he cannot get one anymore. They're really cracking down on this one. Things are changing, it won't be so easy for illegals here anymore.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• just because you don't speak english doesn't mean that you don't know how to drive. If went to another country you could still drive, couldn't you??
    Anonymous

• You don't have to know how to speak english to know how to drive.
    Anonymous

• Because they have places to go. Just because they don't speak english, does not mean they aren't good drivers. Do you think you would not know how to drive a car if you were in a non-english speaking country?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:21 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• what if they broke the law, got in a car accident, or got pulled over and the first officer didn't speak their language? They will have to get someone else out there to do the call meaning one or two less officers that could be doing better things then translating. If you live in america speaking freaking english. If we went to mexico or france, or japan we have to know the language to get around. I think if you want to live in america and get an american licenses you should know how to speak, read and write english.
    Anonymous

• driving and speaking english have nothing to do with one another. A little bitter I see.........

Answer by older at 1:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• What does language have to do with driving...but I know what you are asking...The other day I went into a donut shop and placed my order and I know what I ordered then the girl starts to ask me something about my order (it was not complicated at all) I was just saying yeah ok but watching what she was doing making sure she was getting my order right OMG I couldn't wait to walk out I mean I am hispanic but I speak very good english...I think...
    Anonymous

• i agree with anon 1023 i once got an accident with someone who didnt speak english and he caused it. He yelled at me his language and in broken english he told people to call the police and have the little white bitch arrested. We had to wait for over an hour for a translater just for a simple rear ending. We could have just easily exchanged info if he understood me and i understood him instead of getting the police involve over something that could be resolved without them. He eneded the one getting arrested because he made a treat towards the officer since he didnt arrest me, had to go to court and everything for it as a witness to the attack and that took a lot longer because again translation.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:32 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I had an Italian translation (aka driver's license for foreigners) when I lived in Italy and could not speak one word of Italian. I never got in an accident. I got lost so many times it was not funny. So are you saying that people who travel abroad should also be fluent in the native tongue prior to renting a car or applying for a translation?
    Anonymous

• You don't need to speak the native language to know how to drive.
    I agree that people who come to this country should learn the language. Period. Just as we should learn their native language when we travel to their country.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2010