At what age can I start to introduce cows milk?

My son is just about 10 months old. Since he was about 6 months old he's been eating yogurt, and cheese, and has done fine with both. I've even given him a little bit of milk mixed in with his formula a while back, and he didn't get sick or anything. So now that he's only just about 2 months away from being one...when can I start putting a few ounces of milk in his formula? I think he'll be fine if I do it now..I just want some opinions...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 12 months old.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Get opinions here, then verify with your doc. to be safe.

I think 11 months isn't so scary but earlier than that could be jumping too soon.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• 12 months. Yogurt and cheese are not milk - they are different, which is why drs okay you giving it to them before a year but recommend you hold off on milk. I started mixing small amounts with bmilk or formula for my son at 11 months, but all drs will tell you to wait until a year.

Answer by missanc at 1:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Unlike Whole Cow Milk beverage, your baby is not at risk of formula/breast milk being replaced by Yogurt or Cheese. The medical community worries that if Whole Cow milk is introduced to an infant prior to 1 year old, that parents would stop formula and/or breastfeeding and use Milk as the replacement. This would possibly be dangerous to your baby's health.

Your baby needs fats. One of the reasons why formula and breast milk are so nutritious is due to the high fat content. Fat and fatty acids are essential for brain development to name one reason.

Yogurt may be introduced as early as 7 months old, (the typical age recommendation is 8 months old) depending on your baby’s pediatrician and your baby’s propensity to allergies. Yogurt is a great way for baby to get calcium and the “bacteria” in yogurt that is so good for our digestive systems.

Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• One of the main reasons you should wait until after baby is 1 year old to introduce milk as a formula/breast milk replacement is that milk/dairy hinders the absorption of iron in the body. Milk is also much harder for baby to digest than breast milk or infant formula.

Milk by itself does not contain all the nutrients of breast milk or formula and should never be used as a substitute until after 1 year of age. The cooking of the food that contains the milk will aid in breaking down the milk proteins so that many babies who are 8 months+ are able to have baked goods that contain milk.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:34 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Never before 12 months. Formula was invented because cow's milk kills human babies. Giving it to an older baby can cause problems including organ damage that you may not be aware of for years.

When you wean from formula at 12 months there is no need for your child to start drinking cow or any other mammal milk. It's recommended that toddlers only have 2 toddler size servings milk products a day. Since they like yogurt, cheese, and foods with milk it can be hard to limit their intake just from food to 2 servings.

Milk can cause constipation, digestive problems, anemia, and other health issues. There is really no reason to drink milk.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:36 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I started replacing an ounce of milk with formula at 11 mos. By the time dd was a year she was fully on milk but I wouldn't start any earlier than that! It's hard on their tummies and the are still getting nutrients from breastmilk or formula! When you do switch, put in vitamins so you can be sure he's getting all the nutrients he needs! I do think you should talk to the dr about this... they did tell me a year but I started at 11 mos and progressed dd very slowly until she was a year! DD was on lactose free formula and I put her on 2% milk.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I started introducing cows milk into his formula when he was 11 months old. I started with two oz's and he had no adverse reactions.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:04 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I started at 11months
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 2:08 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• When he turns a year old.
    Anonymous