Would you get pregnant if...

Would you get pregnant if you worked away from home and would not see your child more than 2-3 days a week?
I know someone who is expecting and works as a regional sales person. She travels all over her state and is away from home 4-5 nights a week. She has 8 weeks maternity leave, but after that she is leaving the baby with her husband and in-laws.
It is definitely not something I would do, so I am wondering if any other moms would do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't. What's the point of having children if they're going to be raised by someone else. You'd be more like a stranger than their mom.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I know tons of moms who thought they were going to go back to work after they had their child and then ended up staying home because they just couldn't do it. But maybe she just trusts her husband and inlaws. I would probably still have a child , it's not like she's never home to spend time with him/her.

Answer by missanc at 1:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• If that is her life and career, who are you to say that she can't have children? I would have kids too. She won't work there forever.
    Anonymous

• Well, yeah.If that was what my job/career entailed and I also wanted a family and had a good husband willing to take on more of the responsibility and family as back up. Men do it all the time.It just seems different because its the mother that would be on the road instead.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• OP here...

This is not a question about if she should, of course she should do whatever she feels is right. This is a question of if you would make that choice.
    Anonymous

• Yes. I would make that choice.
    Anonymous

• this question again?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• momm of two388...

Just because you are on here all the time does not mean that this question is old. It was asked one other time, late last night. I was looking for other opinions. Thanks though.
    Anonymous

• No. I would not get pregnant if I could not devote everyday to my child. If I worked outside of the home that would mean mornings and evenings. If I worked away from home like your friend, then I would try to find another position within the business, or a new job. It's not fair to the husband, in-laws, or the child to have a mother who can only devote a couple days a week to the child.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I completely agree with JazzlikeMraz.... I wouldn't have children if I wasn't the one going to be takin' care of him/her.... It's hard to send my 3yo to my mother for a weekend, let alone a week... And nobody has watched my 3mo for more then three hours; and I still feel guilty for leaving them sometimes. ( I only leave them if I have lots of errands that day, or SO and I are havin' a date night) There's no way I could have a child and not beable to see them every day, and know that I'm going to miss all those important first milestones.... But as a SAHM I couldn't imagine having to work 40 hours a week either. After a couple hours I miss my babies.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 2:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2010