What could happen if I never renew my license?

My license has been expired since Nov. and I still have not got it renew just been too busy around the house I know I need to make time very soon.
Is there a penalty for taking so long to renew it other than don't drive with out a license or else.

Can you tell me what you think?
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• you will have to take both the drivers test over again, that happened to me and really who want to take all that over again if they dont need to.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 1:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• If you get pulled over and the cop feels like busting your chops he could refuse to let you drive your vehicle. You'll have to call someone with a current valid license and have them pick you up. If the registration on the car is expired they'll have it towed. You could get a fine, but in my state that just means that you go to the DMV, renew your license and bring that to the court house and they'll drop the whole thing unless it's a repeated offense.

beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• If you wait too long you have to re-test. And in my state, they have increased the fee for renewal beyond a certain number of days.
    Anonymous

• I think you have to redo one or more tests before you can get it back. Depends on how long its lapsed and what state you're in
    Anonymous

• kd2kds, that must be a State law thing. Here in CT you don't have to retake it.
    beckcorc

• here in Alberta you have to pay through the nose and take the retest - which means you'll have to go by the graduated licensing standards that have come into effect - no pm driving, no driving with more than one person, no minors, and a TON of other rules. each year you've driven under the graduated licensing means less restrictions - even if you've had a license before.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:34 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• beckorc, ya it must be because im in IL. I had to do both over again and pay for the new license.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 1:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Where I live, you have to pay a fine if your license is too over-expired. I'm not sure about having to retake the test though...but probably.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• It depends on the state. Some states might require you to take the written test over again. Others might have a fee. Others just sign you right back up. Go to the DMV website and search for what requirments it takes for getting it renewed. You are sitting on the computer now, when you could've been getting it renewed today.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:54 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• In CA all I had to do was pay a $3 late fee.
    kathy5980

Answer by kathy5980 at 5:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2010