My son is 23 months old and is till in his crib (it is set up so that the mattress is very low so he can't climb out). When should we convert it to a toddler bed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i converted my Lo at 18 months and plan on doing the same of my other lo when he turns 18 months. Right now is a good time just remember he will be getting out all the time till he gets use to it, you just have to keep putting him back in and telling him to stay
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:42 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I did that for my son at a year... we had a gate though that prevented him from going out of his room. His room was also connected to ours so it worked out well.

I think with my 4 month old we'll be waiting longer to convert, or we'll do the child gate again.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• very soon you dont want him to have trouble doing so
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 1:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• When he and you are comfortable with it.
    I personally would do it before his second birthday.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I waited until my son was 3. He was happy in there.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• There is no reason to do it until he starts climbing out of it. Then it becomes a dangerous thing for him to be in. If he is happy in there, no need to change it.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 2:21 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• My daughter is the same age as your son and is also still in her crib. She's made no attempts to get out and she's happy in there so I've just left her. I'm planning on transitioning her in June or July, unless something happens before that which causes me to switch her sooner. I would actually leave her a bit longer but my husband and I are trying for another baby and I want her to be 100% used to the switch before the new baby arrives.
    lilac83

Answer by lilac83 at 2:23 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I totally disagree that if you don't do it soon your son will have trouble. Our first daughter 2 years 8 months and the transition was a non-issue. She didn't bat an eye.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I prefer to do it before they get attached to the crib. My daughter was 20 months and my son was 15 months. Both transitioned just fine.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 2:35 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• When he's ready.

My oldest didn't want us to change hers until after her 3rd birthday! She was perfectly happy in there until then. I asked the pediatrician if it was a problem leaving her in it if she was happy and he said as long as she wasn't climbing out and had room; she was fine to stay in it til she was ready...so we took our cues from her - I would ask if she was ready to change and she would think about it and then say no; then before she started Pre-K we talked about her being a "big girl" and went out and got her special sheets & blankets etc...and she was great; she's never gotten out or wandered around etc...great sleeper...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 2:39 PM on Apr. 6, 2010