Yobaby yogurt

can i give my 6month old the yobaby yogurt? it has whole milk in it so im not sure
also, will it help with thrush?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started givng my daughter yobaby yogurt when she was 6 months, she did fine with it, she loved it actually. Just try him out on it and see how his little body handles it.If no reactions, keep giving it to him. Yes , yogurt is great for yeast infections. :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:36 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I don't know if it helps Thrush, but I definitely gave my kids yogurt by 8 months.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• You can give it, but it does have sugar added to it. I prefer for buy plain whole milk yogurt (check the ingredients that it is only whole milk and cultures). Then I mix in some unsweetened fruit (unsweetened applesauce or a jar of baby fruit). I may help with thrush but I wouldn't count on it for the only treatment.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• no.

its too much for a tiny tummy - just because its BABY does not mean its good for a 6 month old.
    Anonymous

• Whole milk is good for babies. I gave my son yobaby when he was little. I dont know about the thrush thing, I wouldnt think it would help it.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Yogurt may be introduced as early as 7 months old, (the typical age recommendation is 8 months old) depending on your baby’s pediatrician and your baby’s propensity to allergies. Yogurt is a great way for baby to get calcium and the “bacteria” in yogurt that is so good for our digestive systems.

Yogurt is also a great way for baby to get the fat that is so highly needed during baby’s first year.

The majority of yogurts on the market are made low fat or non fat. Whole Milk Organic yogurts are available (Stonyfield Farms makes one w/o any preservatives or sugar/sweeteners) and should be given. Always read the labels and watch for added sugars, starches and other additives.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• It won't help with thrush. It's been recommended in the past to wait until around 9 months. However, a big study was done about starting solids and it concluded that there was no reason to put off any certain foods when starting solids after 6 months.

There is no perfect answer. With my grandson we waited until close to a year to try and avoid milk allergy. He is 18 mo and recently had allergy tests. He is allergic to peanuts and eggs but not milk. Maybe waiting worked.

http://www.kellymom.com/ is a breastfeeding website with info about thrush.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Not sure about thrush, but we always introduced yogurt around 7 months. You don't have to give him yobaby - any commercial yogurt is fine as long as there is no added sugar, colors, dyes, etc. Yobaby does add organic sugar, but Gerber just came out with a line of yogurts that supposedly does not have any - it's not refrigerated, look for it with the regular Gerber baby foods.

Answer by missanc at 2:54 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• The yogurt really isn't likely to help with thrush- the sugar in it will feed the yeast and make it hard to get rid of. Gentian violet is good for getting rid of thrush, and I have heard good things about grapefruit seed extract. Both can be found at most places that sell herbal remedies. Walgreens has gentian violet online.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Oh, and if he has thrush, you need to treat yourself as well. Otherwise, you will pass it back and forth, even if there are no symptoms.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2010