Should Oprah and Madonna open schools in The US instead of in Africa?

Apr 6, 2010 12:02 pm US/Eastern
Madonna Lays Brick For Girls' School In Malawi
LILONGWE, Malawi (AP) ―
Madonna laid the first brick of her new girls' academy near Malawi's capital on Tuesday, in which she encouraged Malawian girls to "dare to dream," according to the inscription on the brick.

Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy School for Girls
http://www.oprahsschool.com/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• anon :07, are they helping children or getting them early so they can form them in the way they feel is best? Be careful of accepting just any help. These ladies have agendas I guarantee it. If they didn't, they would do like Bill Gates. Just give the money to the city without stipulations of how it is spent on the schools. These ladies want certain schools, with certain policies, and certain curriculum. No, you don't get my kid to raise as you see fit.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:24 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I think its wonderful what they are doing.
    Anonymous

• I think they should help whereever they feel driven to.
    Anonymous

• I think they need more schools then us.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:53 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I have more of an issue with them not opening any schools for boys. Are girls only deserving of educations or something? That's where I have a problem. They claim they want to change the world and make it a better place, but you aren't going to do that by only helping one gender.
    Anonymous

• anon 1:53, I would guess that since women and girls have virtually no opportunity in some places (and the men already do) that would be the reason that they are reaching out to women to give them a hand up.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:58 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Kids in the US wouldn't appreciate it. I think Oprah said she asked school age kids what was important to them and they said they just wanted ipods and cell phones. We have schools they are just no good. We had a private individual donate money to upgrade a school here, They built it with all the latest technology and the best of everything thinking it would help these city kids get a leg up. Instead the place is trashed and there are riots there all the time. You can't throw money at a problem and think it will get fixed.

Anonymous

• Veronica...but with Oprah's school in Africa, there was a certain criteria the girls had to meet to be accepted to the school. It was the girl's that were already doing really well in school, etc. What about the girls who weren't doing so well? Those are the ones that really need the help.
    Anonymous

• I think people should decide which charity to donate to. If their passion is funding schools overseas who are we to say no. You can spend your money where you choose.
    Anonymous

• We have enough schools here, don't you think? Our children HAVE the oppurtunity to learn here. In Africa black African females (I say that because there ARE white Africans) do not have many educational oppurtunities so....this is a wonderful thing!
    Anonymous