Have you seen this? 900 or more babies lives would be saved each year in the U.S... if

they were breastfed exclusively for 4 months and some breast feeding til 6 months! And these could be low ball calculations.

And, it's mostly non-evidenced based hospital policy/medical providers /bad information given to women from a variety of locations faults.. Not usually women and not usually literal ability.

I'm curious why they are focusing on the billions of dollars and not the lives, considering a sling killed one baby and it has had everyone in the media was up in arms and confusing people about the safety of babywearing, but nearly 1,000 babies die yearly and a lot of the focus in articles is - oh we need to fix this to save money! Will it really save all that money? Ooh look at all the money! Hello! Babies LIVES!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100405/ap_on_bi_ge/us_med_breast_feeding_savings

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• I read that earlier. I can only hope that the idea of breastfeeding changes in this country. It seems like it is so frowned upon for some reason and I just can't understand why. I've been exclusively breastfeeding my 8 month old since birth so I am happy to learn of these new studies coming out.
    Anonymous

• Hmmm... I wonder about the mothers who tried but got post partum depression and tried killing themselves because the baby was latched? Lets see, more mother-less babies or less babies who were loved...
    Look, trying to convince others that YOUR decision was right makes no sense. Stick to what YOU do and I'll stick to what I do. Glad breastfeeding worked out well for you, it certainly didn't for me!
    Anonymous

• Good Parenting saves even more lives!
    Anonymous

• Tell that to the doctors in the NICU faced with trying to save a baby's life and the mom won't let them supplement with high cal formula because she believes all the hype that it's filled with poison. I have seen this time and time again and it's sad. The baby needs help to live but these woman trust idiots on the Internet more that trained specialists.

Anonymous

• lol is all I have to say to the defensive answers. If you don't like scientific information or trust the studies.. How can you trust studies about supplementing preemies or what vitamins/minerals are necessary to make formula for when it is necessary??

You either totally distrust researchers and should breast feed if you can since formula likely is not safe by your mode of thinking, or you trust them and help to change the way bad info about breast feeding is spread and try to help.. Ok?
    Anonymous

• Good parenting can't replace good nutrition.
    Anonymous

• The 2nd answer was ridiculous. PPD is warded off by oxytocin. If you're referring to D-MER, that is a small part of why it could never be 100%..
    Anonymous

• I believe breast is best... but really... sometimes formula is best for mom and baby. I don't think formula kills babies. I had PPD and tried SO FREAKING HARD to Exclusively BF... couldn't do it. I needed me time. Pumping made me more depressed. He did get mostly BM for 3-4 months, but after that I just couldn't do it, not to mentionmy milk supply went down. Mom's shouldn't be forced into either. Babies are gonna die no matter what, and I doubt it is just because of formula instead of BM. Maybe the weaker babies would be better off with BM... but my little guy thrived no matter what.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 2:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• missbreezy I think you hit the nail on the head. Weaker babies need the better nutrition. It's like some folks can live on McDonalds and smoke and never get sick/cancer/fat but many of us could not do that or we would get really sick -but on a proper diet/not smoking we are at least OK even if still not 100%..

I think I am one of those weaker people and I'd be dead if I hadn't been breastfed..
    Anonymous

• What does a Peanuts cartoon have to do with dead babies? You think death is funny, Anon 2:36?
    Anonymous