How does your child react to their siblings Birthday Party Celebration?

Our youngest is turning 1 and we are having a party for her at home. I am concerned about my 3 year old pitching a fit during the gift opening. "How come I don't get any gifts" type of deal. Anyone been there and how did you deal with it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• When my son turned one I let his sisters help him open his gifts. Not open them, but help. Show him how to pull the paper and bows off ect. They had fun. When I was a kid my mom would have to get both of us (me and my younger sister) a present. My sister was spoiled and would cry when she didn't get one. I hated it. It took away from my special day. It's no longer special if she gets a party too kwim? And usually we would get the same thing. I eventually told my mom she didn't have to do it for me. And guess what! My sister is damn near 30 and still acts like a 2 year old. I wonder why? lol

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• My boys usually "help" the birthday boy open their presents. I don't let them open them all the way, I'll let them tear a corner for the younger one. The older one has his presents open before his younger brothers even notice! They are usually having lots of fun at the party though, and they don't seem to notice that they aren't getting any presents. They end up playing with the toys together anyway. My boys are 9, 5 and 3.
    Anonymous