What would you tell your teen about sex?

I know abstinance, but sometimes that is not enough. Curoisity can bring a grand child home. :(

Just wondering how other people discuss it.

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 1:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• When he gets older, ill tell him about it . I'll focus more on birth control then ramming abstinence down his throat.
    Anonymous

• I would start before they are teenage. My DD is 10 and could answer almost any question about sex, safe sex, and std's. It's never too early to educate you child about sex. But, it is possible to be too late.
    **And I do stress to her that I want her to wait and the reasons why. But I also know that people have free will and I want her to be safe.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 2:01 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• When I spoke to my girls when they were teens I told them not to let anyone pressure them into having sex before they thought they were ready. I told them about protection and about transmitted diseases. I told them about making their first time a special one, one that they could remember for ever, to give yourself out of love and commitment not our of peer pressure, to make sure they were ready for the complexities of sex before they entered there. I did the same for my son, and with him emphasized the importance of treating women well, to think of his sisters and his mother and how he would like men to treat them.

Answer by older at 2:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• My sons are 18, 19, 22 and 23 and we taught them from a young age that having sex is something that you do when you are an adult and being an adult means that you out of high school, are 100% financially supporting yourself and you have your own home & no longer live with your parents. We stressed that since there is no 100% full proof method of birth control short of abstinence that having sex could always result in a child and if you are still relying on your parents and living with them you have NO business considering bringing a child in to the world when you are in fact still a child. My older 2 waited until they were engaged to their now wives to have sex and my younger 2 aren't quite ready to make that commitment yet, they are still in high school and have too many things going on once they graduate (1 is off to college and the other is off to the Army and has a gf who graduates in '11).
    Anonymous

• Everything. DH and I work with teens and the best thing for the ones we work with is brutal honesty. They don't like it when you sugar coat things, and lots of times it confuses them. So we intend to be completely open with our children about sex, why you shouldn't do it as a teen, how it can be bad/good, and all the consequences that you can have if you do have sex at an early age.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:01 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• This is a series of conversations that begin practically at birth, by teaching children the proper names for body parts and their functions. Always be on the lookout for teachable moments: a pregnant TV character or relative, etc. Teen Mom on MTV shows many of the negatives of teen parenthood.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:43 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I plan on being open and honest about sex in our home. I think when you take the curiosity out of stuff then it takes the wonderment out of it. I remember watching some show on MTV where a psychologist forced parents to anwer any question the kid had about sex. The parents were embarassed at first but ultimately they became really close to their kid. I liked the open communication. I remember one episode where a girl had asked her dad if he had ever had an STD. When he said yes, she was both shocked but had a greater respect about what her dad had to say to her about safe sex, since she knew that he had been there. I think when you let your kid know that you were in their shoes at one time it helps. I'm not saying I'm gonna reveal all the gorry details of my sex life, but I do plan on being open and honest and answering the questions that my sons will have.
    jdelain79

Answer by jdelain79 at 12:57 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• My son is 14 and he knows all that I could tell him about it. I mean everything. I left out nothing and he knows abstinence and birth control.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:13 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I feel that the "sex" talk starts at a young age. Talking about body parts, the clinical terms of course, and as they grow and become more curious the conversation continues. That way, when they are old enough for the "talk", there isn't any uncomfortableness between you. If you haven't done this, then the truth works. Be honest and open. Refrain from telling stories about yourself....keep it factual. Besides the truth of birth control and abstinence, tell them about STD's and the reality of pregnancies and babies. Some people will tell their kids "when you fall in love or get married...." well, that's not reality. The reality is that even when a teen FEELS like they are in love, they probably aren't....don't challenge that. You just want them to make responsible choices and know that you are there for them to talk to at any time without judgment.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 11:42 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I explained that unprotected sex led to babies if you were lucky and AIDS if you were not. They learned " that, if he don't put it on, he don't put it in", from an early age. This was during the start of the HIV epidemic and they needed to know the facts of life
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 7, 2010