Still think kids don't need to be taught at school how to be nice, since their parents encourage and reinforce their prejudice at home?

http://thestir.cafemom.com/big_kid/101136/gay_teen_constance_mcmillen_sent?next=11

"Constance McMillen thought she'd finally won the right to take her girlfriend to her high school prom -- only to show up and find out she'd been duped.

The Mississippi teen who made news recently for standing up to a high school administration that decided to cancel the prom rather than allow her to wear a tux and invite her girlfriend told The Advocate she was sent to a "fake prom.""

And if the CM blog isn't enough, here's the story in normal news:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/04/06/national/main6367855.shtml

How proud all those parents must be of their parenting. Good job, people! Way to raise the next generation of bigoted asshats!

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I read this on facebook.HOW sad.
    :(
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 2:23 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• It is not the kids that need to be nice, in this scenario it is the adults who need to learn tolerance and good behavior
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 2:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I'm so ready for this topic to finally go away.

Because basic human decency is so boring.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:43 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• 2:39 PM
    Why?
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 2:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• What a crappy thing to do. Way to lead by example. I do have to wonder if the adults are showing less tolerance than the high schoolers? I haven't read much about this story, that's the only reason I ask. I would have to think it's more the adults, but I could be wrong.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:59 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I agree that tolerance of ALL walks of life should be taught at school not this 'oh this way is better then that way' that's being passed around now, but how is this on the kids? I agree that it's the adults who are in the wrong with this ENTIRE situation.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 3:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I agree that it's the adults who are in the wrong with this ENTIRE situation.

And since it is the adults responsible for this, what exactly do you think their teenagers are learning at home? Obviously the teenagers have no problem with what the adults did, or they would've either gone to the fake prom or invited her to the party.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• How awful!! Adults acting like children!
    Emberbaby

Answer by Emberbaby at 3:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• It doesn't say whether or not the kids knew about it, but I agree they've not got very good examples of tolerance in their homes to go by. It does say though that 5 other students were there besides her so maybe there's still hope for the future generations!
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 3:38 PM on Apr. 6, 2010