do you think its wise?

So i have a 3 year old dd, and im pregnant with twins due in august. My dh and i were going thru the ads on craigslist and came across "free to a loving home".and its a 10 yr old jack russell terrier. i have had jack russells in the past and they are loving awesome dogs. now i feel that i am a "save the world" type person ya know? lol and i called about this dog. my mother is being miss negative saying that im going to have my hands full aready i dont need another dog.BLAH. well she is the type of person to "not get" why i do things. i just think the dog would be well cared for here.she's fixed and potty trained and a loving lap dog. good with babies and children and other pets. we already have a chow dog that is a great dog, never gives us any trouble. do you think i am crazy for bringing more onto me?

mywonderyears

Asked by mywonderyears at 2:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would not bring an older unknown dog around babies, no way
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I see it this way: If you want another pet, it's betty to get it before the babies are here than after. That way the dog has time to assimilate to the home and you have time to get rid of it if it doesn't fit in your family.

My family thought we were stupid for getting a second dog when we have a baby due this fall. If you think you can do it, just don't listen to them. : ) Good luck and CONGRATS on the twins!
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 2:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I agree with mickstinator. If you want to get the dog, I would do so before the babies are here so that you don't have to deal with getting rid of it if there's a problem, once you have newborns to worry about. Although, I hope you are taking into consideration the age of the dog. It probably doesn't have many years left, so although I commend you for taking in a senior dog that likely wouldn't find a loving family for that very reason, its going to be hard to get attached to an animal that might be taken away from you shortly. I think its great what you are doing though. I had a 13 year old collie that we had to put to sleep in January and she was the greatest dog ever. Older dogs are still derserving of a loving home and affection but people only want puppies. :( Its sad but true.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I'd be cautious about bringing in another dog when you already have a Chow. Chows can be extremely territorial and protective and yours may decide that the new dog is a threat to the new babies, etc., and rip the new dog to pieces. My aunt had a Chow that was the sweetest thing out there, until one day when it decided that the neighbor's dog was a threat and jumped the fence to attack it, nearly killing it.

Personally, I wouldn't want to risk it.
    Anonymous

• personally i would wait. i would be concerned that the twins would keep you pretty busy just by themselves.....but with one child already and a dog.....I wouldn't do it. i would want time to get comfortable and know how things are going to be with the new babies.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2010