My son is interested in joining the Young Marines or JROTC and

I was wondering if anyone else's child has joined either of these organizations? If so, what are the expectations for the child and what is involved for the parent? Did your child enjoy the experience and did he or she go on to enlistment?

My son is still too young for JROTC at 15 (I did find out that he needs to be 17), but he is old enough to join the Young Marines now. However, before I make the call, I would like some pointers. TIA

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I was in JROTC when I was in high school. It was one of my classes. And I loved it! It taught me so much discipline, and respect. I really had to work hard in there, but it helped me build character. I did the drill team to. Again, it helped me. I think its a wonderful thing. Hope he enjoys it as much as I did.
    Anonymous

• My son was in JROTC from his freshman year until he graduated. He loved the program. He also went into the servioe as an E-3 because of JROTC. Parents are involved to whatever degree they choose. The only expense were haircuts every 2 weeks. We eventually bought him a pair of clippers and they learned how to cut one anothers hair. My son has no regrets, nor do we.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• My son has been in Young Marines for six years and JROTC for four and is graduating this year. He absolutely thrives in both programs, however he stays with Young Marines for the discipline...not the punishment...the self-control. He knows, beyond a shadow of doubt, that he is prepared to face anything. This is through his experiences with both programs and because he was taught how to handle obstacles. He received an ROTC scholarship and will attend USF. Then into OCS and a career in the USMC. It seems odd that he can't get into JROTC yet but please go to www.youngmarines.com and find the unit closest to you. Contact the unit commander, attend a meeting or drill and find out if that's for your son. Good luck!
    reichoe

Answer by reichoe at 4:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• reichoe, thank you very much for the information. Could you elaborate more on what you meant by "not for the punishment"?

Also, here, for whatever reason, the JROTC programs are not offerred until the Junior year of high school (and then only the Navy & Marines are allowed in) and my son is only a freshman, which is why he can't get into the JROTC program yet. He will also need to transfer back into the public high school and we have not yet decided if that will be to his advantage or not, so we've got a year to think about it, which is nice.

Thanks again, and to everyone else who responded, too.
    Anonymous

• I was in JROTC from 9th to 12th grade.
    Mine was AF JROTC
    There was nothing needed from parents at ours and being in the JROTC did not require a military career. Only ROTC in college does.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:29 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I don't know the answer to your question, but I wanted to say thank you. When I read the title of this question, I thought it was going to be about you not wanting him to join because of the risks involved or something about that......so, thank you for asking for information on this so you can help to make the right choices. He has a great loving and supportive mother!
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 11:36 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I don't specifically know the answer to your question because our highschool did not offer those programs, three of my brothers have joined the Marines though and they love it. I have two minor brothers who also plan to enlist when they finish highschool. I applaud you for not looking at the worse parts of the military - one of my brothers friend's left the Marines after a serious injury and talks endlessly about never allowing his son to join. One of my brothers was injured as well but as soon as he recovered he eagerly got back to action. My parents are very supportive as well given that both sides of my family have military backgrounds (though most impressive would be my maternal grandfather who was a rifle sharpshooter).
    Anonymous