how do i make my own toddler bedding? (spin off of looking for toddler bedding)

someone suggested making my own..and i think that's what i'm going to do..i'm really thinking just a blanket and bedskirt (maybe just the blanket), and buy a 3 pc sheet set online...pink and green princess themed..any suggestions on where to start, and how to do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can buy two different fabrics and sew them together for a reversible blanket; my toddlers have some like this that are printed flannel on one side and satin on the other side. If you are making a comforter type quilt for a toddler bed you can buy crib batting that is just the right size and just make a quilt out of a few coordinating fabrics. If you do a quilt you can use a pattern or come up with your own design - you could look at adult bedding for inspiration and shrink it down to child size. If you want a quilt type blanket without actually quilting it you can tie bows or knots all over to keep it together. A skirt is pretty easy too - you cut a piece just a little bigger than the bed and sew a ruffle onto it (I suggest actually sewing 4 ruffles on and leaving the corners open). If you don't have a fabric store you can order it online too (I like J and O fabrics). Have some fun with it. GL!

Anonymous

• If this is your first time making a blanket, I would suggest making a rag quilt. With traditional quilts, you make the quilt top, add the batting (the fluff) in the middle and then a bottom layer is added. You have to either tack or quilt the three layers together and this takes a good bit of time. With a rag quilt, when you are finished sewing it together, you are finished completely. Here's how you make a rag quit.

Cut your fabric into 5 inch blocks. Cut the batting into 4 inch blocks. Then make a "sandwich"--fabric, batting in the middle and fabric on the bottom. Run the "sandwich" through the sewing machine with a big X across the whole thing. Make all your "sandwiches" and start attaching them together. When the quilt is all assembled, clip the seams that stick up between blocks, wash and dry it. The quilt will be fully completed and fuzzy and cute. Hope that was clear enough to understand! Best of luck!
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 4:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2010