Is there such a thing as not being able to produce milk to nurse your baby?

My first baby & and I'm due in 3 wks..I'm 37 wks right now. And I keep reading books and getting those emails daily (daily kick, pregnancycenter etc) and they all said I was suppose to produce or my boobs "may start" leaking here or there around 32 wks etc. Well, none of that has happend, I've may gone up a cup size since the beginning of being pregnant, but nothing looks "huge" or like they're "filling up" etc. So I'm just wondering.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes it is possible...it does happen. It happened to my SIL....Hopefully, if you were planning to breast feed, you're milk will come in...if not, I'm sorry, and good luck
    Anonymous

• I had nothing happen until I gave birth. I had him, fed him I guess colostrum the first day, then, it hit my boobs the next day like a ton of bricks....LOL Milk just pouring out. So, you may not notice a thing until then.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• It only happens to 3%. Some women also don't get any leaking till after baby is born. That would have been nice instead of having to wear breast pads before I had a baby.
    Anonymous

• You may want to join the breast feeding moms group here.

Many women don't make milk until delivery or a few hours afterward. Also, you could be making plenty and not releasing it. There are many steps your breasts will go through. Size, shape, soreness... these "symptoms" are not proof that your body is doing anything "right" or "wrong" for breast feeding. The only way to test for "enough" milk is to count wet diapers after the baby is born.

Karen Pryor's book "Nursing Your Baby" is phenomenal! Very very encouraging. It has cool medical science facts plus practical tips.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I was unable to produce enough milk for my daughter after she was born. I was lucky to get 1/4 of an oz after pumping both breasts for 10 minutes. I even tried an herb recommended by my doctor and nothing. It was so stressful. I did leak beforehand though.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 3:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• It happens...but nothing you report here indicates it will happen to you. I was the same as you before delivery. No leaking no changes...nursed to 26 months.

Droip by the Breastfeeding Moms group for reassurance.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:28 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Its possible but you may have milk that just isnt leaking. For the most part, a woman's body knows what to do to provide for its baby. The milk will come, even if not until after the birth. Try not to stress about it. You could try pumping and see what the result is if you think you d have milk production.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 4:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Yes it happens.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• "I was unable to produce enough milk for my daughter after she was born. I was lucky to get 1/4 of an oz after pumping both breasts for 10 minutes. I even tried an herb recommended by my doctor and nothing. It was so stressful. I did leak beforehand though."

Hornz...your pump output was normal. And pump output doesn't indicate anything about supply. It's only too possible you got mislead that time. If you want to try again with the new one on the way, please drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group. Nobody there cares about what you did before...EXCEPT as a way to help you know what to look for in the future.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• it's quite rare to not produce enough milk for baby if you nurse the baby on demand. actually the milk doesn't come in until AFTER birth though, like 2-5 days after i think. before that it's just colostrum, and not a whole lot but exactly what baby needs :)

it's also normal to not leak at all during pregnancy. i think i leaked a teensy bit during my first pregnancy, and 35 weeks and later.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 4:36 PM on Apr. 6, 2010