teeth brushing: what kind of toothpaste does your preschooler use? and do they do it themselves?

my son uses this toddler toothpaste with a bear picture on it and it basically tastes like candy. but i brush his teeth for him because i know he's not doing a good enough job when he does it. but it doesn't have flouride in it, and that worries me because i don't want him having unhealthy teeth!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Kids don't need flouride toothpaste until you are certain they do not swallow it. If your city has flouridated water, he is fine. Mine used kiddie toothpaste until about age 5 or 6, then, kids crest. I let him do it, then, I went behind him.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:58 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• If your son is spitting stuff out then he can move up to reg toothpaste.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 3:59 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• my dd uses a kids toothpaste with flouride in it. it has princesses on it and i do it first then let her go ahead and do it again. that way i know its done right and shes learning how to do it herself. and she uses a mouth wash too. i forget what one, its for kids but she knows how to swish and spit so....
    Anonymous

• Fluoride is not safe to swallow. In fact, it's really quite poisonous. Toddlers should use a non fluoride toothpaste. That's what makes the toothpaste safe to swallow.
    Anonymous