What do you do if your BF baby bites?

I've been BFing my baby and lately he has been biting me alot. idk wat to do. I've never BF any of my other children until they had teeth.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• how old is he? when my kids bit I would take them off the breast and say something like " we don't bite" , or "owie!". I know ppl that bite their babies and other abusive reactions but that doesn't teach the child anything.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 4:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Everytime he bites, push his face a little closer to your breast...he will unlatch. Then, you tell him NO we don't bite.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• OP. Forgot to add, Baby is 9mos.
    Anonymous

• remove the breast.

stern NO.

then back to breast, if he does it again - unlatch and remove breast.

eventually they get it. my third was a biter
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:28 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Baby cannot bite when actively nursing as the tongue covers the lower teeth. Try to watch for when baby bites. Often it is when they have finished eating but are still latched on. Many moms can learn to predict when baby will bite and remove them before they do.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• So is he biting in the middle or end of a session? Is it when he is starting to drift off to sleep and the nipple starts to fall out or purposely in the middle of a session? These different situations should be handled differently. In the middle then pull baby in to the breast until they let go while you are screaming in pain (over do it if you have to) and then sternly tell them no and place then beside you NOT ON YOUR LAP. If it is towards the end as they drift to sleep then try to keep them positioned so that as they fall asleep the nipple doesn't fall out.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• What I did was when my son would bite I would detach him tell him no biting then put him back on. If he bit again I detached him and stopped the feeding for about 10 minutes. He only bit me a few times before learning that if he wanted food he shouldn't bite.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 9:51 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group and search for a post titled "When Babies Attack!" Biting strategies are there.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2010