Potty Training: what to do about a boy who won't scoot far enough back on the toilet seat?

We have a potty chair and a ring for the toilet, but he wants to use the regular toilet without a ring because his twin sister has decided she is too big to use those baby things anymore. She's practically trained and doing well, so I can't force her to use the training aids again. He's thinner than she is, and unfortunately he's fallen in the toilet a few times. Now he's a little scared to scoot back far enough to actually pee IN the toilet. I've tried getting him to face the back, but he isn't thrilled about that either. My husband thinks maybe we should try having him stand up, but since he's only beginning to train I don't think that is a great idea. I don't want to turn potty training into a battle, but what we're doing now isn't working. I need some ideas!

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting him in a poition where he will pee IN the toilet rather than on the seat and in the floor?

Thanks!

TweenAndTwinMom

Asked by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:08 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• My husband taught my son to stand up and aim for the water because that's what "BIG BOYS" do. My son stands on his potty chair that doubles as a step stool and lifts the seat up so he can be "just like Daddy." When he was first learning, we had the same issue with being scared of falling in so my husband taught him to take one finger and "push it" down so the potty hits the water. Now, when my son has to go poop, or we are somewhere where he is too short for the potty, he still will take one finger and push his penis down when he needs to pee. Since my son was going through a mimicking stage it just took my husband showing him how to push it down once and then he got it. Good luck!
    jdelain79

Answer by jdelain79 at 12:21 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• JUst tell him he can't use the big pottywithout the ring unless he learns to sit on it right. Sounds like he is still a bit afraid of falling in.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• There is the Peter Potty, the flushing toilet training urinal. It looks fun and it is only $40.

http://www.peterpotty.com/

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Get him a little step stool. Our youngest boy didn't like the chair, and he was afraid of falling in. So he stood on a step stool. Worked great.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 5:17 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• He cries when I pick up the ring now, so I don't think he'll be cooperative if I try to force it; he's really just beginning to show interest and I don't want to turn this into a battle. He's a sensitive little guy, and he wants very badly to do everything his sister does. We went through tears with him when she learned to crawl first, and again when she learned to walk first, and now she's potty training first.

We do have a step stool, so maybe I'll get Daddy to help him try it standing up; maybe doing it in a special boys only way will make him feel special.

If that fails I might consider the Peter Potty; if it were just him I'd order it in a heartbeat, but I suspect his twin sister will think she needs to try it too and I don't think that would go too well!

Thanks for the ideas!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• My son started off peeing in the potty like a man. Standing. We never used a "baby potty". I had a stool that he would stand on. Once he got the hang of that, we started going poop in it. No big deal. I did have a boy over one time while we were training. he was 6 or so years old. My son saw him go pee standing up and he just thought it was the big boy thing to do. So he went with no problem after that!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 6:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• can he push his PP down with his hand?
    Even if he sat back far enough sometimes his PP will go UP & out of the seat anyways, so its good to teach them to push it downward.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• We started peeing standing up with our boy and it worked just fine.
    Anonymous

• Have him face backwards on the toilet, he can hold on to the tank for stability and he'll be able to hit the bowl.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2010