How do I handle my preschool who is afraid of everything?

My 3 1/2 year old son is afraid of everything and it's reaching the point that I just don't know how to handle it. I mean he's afraid of normal things like doctors, the dark, new experiences etc. but he's also afraid of things like the water running in the bathtub, riding his bike, birthday cards that play music (found that out on his 2nd b-day), the hairdryer, the vaccum....things like that. Some things he's outgrown but there's always new one that follows. I try to avoid the stuff I can such as warning him before I turn on the hair dryer or vaccum so he has a chance to leave the room but what do I do with the situations that can't be avoided???

jam090606

Asked by jam090606 at 5:21 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• one day at a time my son kaiden is affair of every thing and i just when topre school the frist day and then all of a sudden he didn't need me anymore and he is the cling one.
    babyteresa

Answer by babyteresa at 5:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I've been helping my son study for a college psychology exam. Developmental psychologists would say that your son has not formed a secure attachment to you. That has made him anxious and afraid to take risks. Psychiatrists would say he has a chemical imbalance in his brain. It may be his temperment or personality.

I think what you describe is abnormal behavior and you should have him evaluated. It's good to avoid the things you can. If you think it might be your relationship then that is something you can work on.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I would bet that he has some sensory issues and with some occupation therapy he could overcome his issues. Sounds are too loud, lights are too bright, water is too hot or cold, fabrics may bother him. I could be way off, but he sounds just like my little cousin and that's how he is. He's getting help now and much much better with coping.
    Anonymous

• I was thinking 'sensory issues' as well.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 2:02 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I was thinking about a sensory issue too! If he is as severe as you describe I might look into having him tested for that. Its better to get help now then having to wait until he starts K and he gets behind b/c your dealing with this issue!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:22 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• IDK, but my DD is 11 now, she has always been very sensitive to loud noises, some things really bother her. She needs a lot of 'quiet time" to herself. I wouldnt worry too much about it. The vaccuum was her biggest trigger. She hated bright lights and always wanted to wear sunglasses, hats, to shield the sun. Would freak out if she heard the tv white noise screen (static?? IDk what its called) As she gets older, it's gotten better. She can just deal with it better. When she was younger, she would get upset, fussy, cranky and clingy. Now she will "get away'on her own and just chill in her room, read a book etc.
    Anonymous