when do you get checked for Preeclampsia

im 24 weeks and i have been checked for that yet, i dont think.
im kinda worried because my hands are Kinda swollen and i have a headache, and my vision is kinda blurry, idk if thats normal or not.. and i feel kinda nauseas.. its really hot here too so idk if that might have anything to do with it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They should be checking every single time you go in. It's one of the tests they run on that nice urine sample you're giving them! But if you're concerned, give your OB a call. But I bet it's the heat right now. Have a glass of water.
    jenwmuot

Answer by jenwmuot at 5:24 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• unless its visibly impairing you they don't.

my swelling was HORRIBLE with my first. but I was never checked - as long as the blood pressure was fine away I went cankles and all. blech....

a headache, and blurry vision - drink some water, you may be dehydrated. especially if its hot out. but if anything gets worse then get to a dr.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• they check your blood pressure every time you go in, or they should be at least. if its high, and you have other symptoms, they will check you.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 5:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Also when your blood pressure is checked that would show pre-eclampsia. It may be because you are hot. Another thing that can cause pregnant women to feel bad is low blood sugar. Eating small meals 4-5 times a day or even snacking all day may help.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• they could be "checking you" for that and you don't realize it. like through BP checks and urine samples. if your BP is high and there is protein in your urine, those are signs of pre-e.

i'd mention the symptoms and see what they say. gl
    Anonymous

• Every time you go. things like taking your blood pressure, urine checks for protien and looking for swelling are the main ways they check for it. If both aren't present they probably wouldn't do anything else. If all 3 are present you need to be in the hospital.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• My midwife checked my blood pressure every time and if it was elevated then she checked for preeclampsia. The nurse also always looked at my feet and hands etc to check for swelling at every visit. Sounds like low blood sugar or dehydrated to me more then anything, but if you are really worried then call.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:34 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• My OB checks for preeclampsia every visit.....especially since i had it with my first son. It wasnt detected until i was 38 weeks though. They check by the amt. of protein in urine and blood pressure...i had no swelling, but did have blurry vision. I was sent immediately to labor/ delivery and was induced.
    Anonymous

• good doctors should be checking for any abnormal swelling at every single visit. once you are 7 mths they should really be checking carefully.
    Anonymous