when is swelling serious?

how do you know when your swelling is a serious concern, and not just a normal pregnancy symptom?

i'm 28 weeks pregnant with my 2nd. i never had swelling w/ my first. my feet have been swollen the past 3 days. i couldn't even fit into my shoes yesterday afternoon so today i'm wearing flip flops.

thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It's serious when you are having other symptoms with it. A headache, spots before your eyes, or upper abdominal pain. If your blood pressure is elevated that is also serious. You are rather early to be getting that bad swelling. Unless something has changed recently, like you have been on your feet more than usual, or eaten (maybe over Easter) more rich or salty foods, I'd call the doctor to report it. Let them decide if it's serious or not. In the meantime, drink water, and lie on your left side as much as you can. If you have a headache, call the doctor. Now.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I am 28 weeks with twins and I have been wondering the same thing. LoL. My feet and ankles have been so swollen over the last 4-5 days that I can't even wear my flip flops. But I finally called my doctor's office today and the nurse told me that as long as your blood pressure hasn't been high, you haven't had protein in your urine, and you aren't having headaches or blurred vision, it is generally nothing to worry about.
    JenMarie2007

Answer by JenMarie2007 at 7:01 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• In my case, it was serious each time (2 out of my 3 pregnancies). My swelling was a sign of high blood pressure and with both of the pregnancies that I had high blood pressure I had to be induced at 36 weeks. I didn't have protein in my urine, but had seriously high blood pressure. Usually the last month was horrible for me. I'd call your dr and at least have your blood pressure taken. I know that with my last one that I had high blood pressure at about 8 months, then it went away and then came back again in full swing. I noticed it had a trend with the weather.... if it was hot, I was swelling. The days it was cooler, I wasn't so swollen. If anything, just call your dr just to be sure.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 8:54 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• thanks ladies :)

some good news is that i had my last appointment on thurs and then my blood pressure was normal. my blood pressure is actually usually on the low end of normal and was then as well. i haven't had any headaches or vision problems.

one major change has been the temp these past few days. it's been mid-80s up from high-60s. and saturday i was waling a lot more than usual. on my feet all day. tomorrow it's supposed to be a lot cooler, back to the 60s, so if the swelling is still there tomorrow, ill probably call my midwife. my husband has been worried so he'll feel better when i do. :)
    Anonymous

• Stay hydrated (I know, it's hard when you're pregnant and already peeing twice as many times as normal) it REALLY helps with swelling. Avoid salty foods and put your feet up as often as you can. I went to 34 weeks with twins and was hardly swollen at all until AFTER I gave birth to them. I really think all the water I drank made a huge difference and it also has other real bonuses in assisting with pregnancy and the health of the baby. GL!
    Anonymous