How do you make gravy for biscuits and gravy?

I want a really good gravy recipe. Mine always turns out bland. How do you do it?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 5:39 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I'm assuming you're referring to sausage gravy? It's basically a white sauce with sausage. Here's the one I use:
    1/4 lb. pork sausage
    1/4 c. flour
    2 c. milk
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. black pepper
    Cook sausage until browned and crumbled. Drain off all fat except 2 Tbsp. Stir in flour,stirring constantly until browned and bubbly. Gradually whisk in milk, salt and pepper. Cook stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly, about 3 to 5 minutes. Serve over hot biscuits.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• My adult sons love it and leave in all the fat when they make it. They use 2 pounds of sausage.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:51 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• It's just a basic roux - trick is to stir the flour into whatever drippings you have before you add any liquid, and add the liquid before the flour starts to turn a true brown - golden yellowish is ok, brown is bad. Flavor depends on what kind of drippings you have - if you want more flavor, cook bacon first, then brown the sausage in the bacon drippings, and use the combined drippings from both to make the roux, then crumble the bacon back into the gravy along with the crumbled sausage. After that, lots of pepper. If the sausage isn't too spicy, try stirring a tablespoon of maple syrup into the gravy, too. It changes the flavor from typical b&g, but it's good - make sure it's real maple syrup, not the fake stuff in plastic bottles shaped like old ladies.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:53 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• It works best if you cook sausage or bacon first. Then use the left over grease to make your gravy. You add about a tablesoon of flour to the pan and gently brown the gravy, moving it around frequently with a fork or spatula. Once the flour is lightly brown, turn the heat down to low and add milk a bit at a time while whisking with a whisk or fork. Add salt and a fairly generous amount of black pepper. Heat through and it's done.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:58 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I just brown the sausage. Then add A stick of butter. Then add flour till it's a thick mush. Then gradually add milk stirring constantly until it's the consistency you want. salt and pepper to taste.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• All of the above, although i don't like using butter, it just tastes funny to me. When I'm cooking the flour, before I add the liquid, I wait until it smells sort of like toasted nuts. Other wise I end up with that raw flour taste.
    I spent years not being able to make gravy worth a darn, then one of my aunts taught me, now I need to make better biscuits!
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 6:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Thanks ladies! It turned out much better this time.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Our way is very simple. -- Cook alot of bacon in the pan, use some of the grease (enough to cover the bottom) & stir in some flour, stir it on high until it turns brown, when it browns stir in milk, stir alot until it begins to thicken... salt & pepper to taste..

sometimes i like to put in sausage as well..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:39 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I always buy the packet of seasoning and prepare it that way. It always comes out awesome!
    Anonymous

• For two cups of gravy:
    4 T butter
    4 T flour
    2 C milk
    1/2 t salt
    1 T FRESH ground pepper
    (I don't make sausage gravy for religious dietary reasons)
    But that's my recipe. I make it at least once a week. As long as the butter/flour mixuter isn't overcooked, it works every single time.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 10:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2010