Should parents have to pay for K?

One school district in Tucson is going to make parents pay to send their children to K because they don't have enough money. They are also closing an alternative high school.

Gailll

Asked by Gailll at 6:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If I had to pay to put my kid in school he wouldn't go. That grade is kinda pointless anyway.
    ArkTech

Answer by ArkTech at 6:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• thats crazy.... if they dont pay does that mean the kids cant go ?
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 6:07 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• If the parents don't pay the kids can't go.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• That's sad. Kindergarten is NOT pointless. It's about teaching a child to socialize and how to act in a class room setting so they will be ready for 1st grade when they'll actually be learning to do other things.
    Anonymous

• OH MY GOSH Kindergarten is SOOOOO NOT pointless. Spoken by someone who has no education degree! It is ove of the most important grades there is! THEIR FOUNDATION!

But no, it should not be paid for by parents!
    It should be state funded! And will most likely stay that way. A lot of the times the school systems talk big about lack of funding to boost funding but in all actuality have enough!
    Anonymous

• Let's see, Kindergarten is not required in most states therefor it is an optional grade in school. So, I can see where it would be one of the first to go.
    While it isn't pointless, there are other ways to socialize your children with their peer group without having to go to Kindergarten. After all homeschoolers usually manage to do so with their children.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:51 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I think it's a great idea. Most of what is done in kindergarten can easily be accomplished at home and in the community. I wish our state would do that. Oh, and I was a teacher.
    Anonymous

• How sad that a district has to do that to their Kindergarten program. It's PATHETIC enough that so many districts still only offer 1/2 day programs. As a first grade teacher, so many students come to me UNPREPARED!!!!!!!!! (My distirct is finally considering FULL DAYS) Kindergarten is SUCH an important grade. That really is a shame. I blame the government for putting educational funding on the back burner.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• okay, so it sucks that people have to or would have to pay for Kindergarten. I dont think its right. HOWEVER....here Kindergarten is NOT mandatory....which means they can charge you for it.

Here my SS is in Full Day kindergarten. Last year was the first year the school did offerred full day. Last year and this year full day was FREE. However, due to all the education cuts in funding, they are going to charge for full day kindergarten as is another school district in our county. They are only charging $1000 for the year. Based on 180 days of school that is only $5.56 a day. That is cheaper than most daycares....even if you still have to pay for before/after daycare....its cheaper than if you were paying for a full day at daycare....at least around here.

it sucks. however, i do feel that education is important and I will do everything I can to make sure my children get the best one that I can help them to get.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• also, my SS is learning more than socialization in Kindergarten. he is learning math, reading, and writing....along with other concepts such as science or order. he is sounding out words and knows at least 1/2 his sight words. he can even spell most of the ones he knows. yes you can teach your kids at home what they learn in kindergarten, but not all parents are equipped to do that. my SS also went to preschool and learned things there. i feel that it was an important step for him. we had to pay for it....its not mandatory.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2010