Does anyone know a good natural remedy for a sinus infection?

I have a sinus infection, but I am pregnant and don't really want to risk taking a bunch of medicines. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any safe, natural alternatives that can help get rid of the infection and the pain? Thanks!

tscritch

Asked by tscritch at 6:21 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Health

• Try using a Neti Pot.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 6:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• You can use saline spray. If you get a fever and have thick green discharge you may need antibiotics. Pregnant women can take antibiotics.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• A nice warm bath, drinking hot tea helps a lot to. I'm just getting over a sinus infection..so what else worked for me is one of those sinus rinse things..you can google them. But basically it's a water tank hooked up to something you can put into your nose ..you put salt and baking soda in the water, turn the machine on, put the little gatchet into your one of your noistrils, and it flushes out the gunk.
    madamlinwe

Answer by madamlinwe at 6:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces. Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient. Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother. Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.). I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 7:24 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.

Most important, stay well hydrated!

I always make miso soup when someone is sick
    Morning miso
    2 cups veg. broth
    2 cups hot water
    4 Tbsp. miso
    1 tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
    1/2 cup diced firm tofu
    3 Tbsp. thinly sliced scallion greens
    1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
    I have substituted onion for the scallions, and left out the mushrooms. I have also added some thinly sliced chinese cabbage, because I happened to have it.)

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 7:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Pour the veg. broth and 1 cup of water into medium saucepan. In separate bowl, dissolve the miso in the remaining 1 cup water. Mix well and add to saucepan. Add the ginger root and mushrooms and heat until simmering (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in
    the tofu and scallions. (If adding other veg. like onion or cabbage, you'll want to simmer until they are tender before adding tofu.)

• You do not need a neti pot to do a nasal flush and that is what I would recommend. Avoid dairy, stay hydrated, use vicks.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

How can I do one? I really don't know...how sad it that?! :-)

Thank you all who gave me some great advise!! I really appreciate it!!! Oh and that soup sounds delicious!! I will have to get all the stuff for it next shopping trip!!
    tscritch

Answer by tscritch at 2:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• A saline rinse (either with a neti pot or without *check by the saline nose spray at the pharmacy and they'll have a few options*) things that are minty or spicy can encourage your sinuses to drain, drinking hot tea or soup, avoiding caffiene, applying a warm pack to your face or using steam to help get them to drain. If you dont start feeling better soon though you may need to see a dr for antibiotics. I had a sinus infection get really bad... I swear I've never been so sick in my life, and even with antibiotics it still took a couple months to get rid of it.
    nicoled02

Answer by nicoled02 at 3:00 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Mix together 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of baking soda and add to 1 cup hot (not scalding since you will be putting it in your nose, as hot as you can stand!) water and stir! Use one of your kiddos nasal bulbs to suck up as much of the mixture as you can and while tipping your head to one side, squeeze the bulb in to the opposite nostril (kwim, so it leaks out the other nostril the way you have your head tipped). Repeat on the other side!
    Tammi, I SWEAR by this!! And have a SinuCleanse bottle and buy the premade packets!! "They" say you will love it or hate it!! Keep your mouth open as some of the water mixture might come out the back of your throat!! Lemme know if you have more questions and if you try it!!
    dragonflylovr19

Answer by dragonflylovr19 at 5:26 PM on Apr. 7, 2010