Mentor? (asked in just for fun)

this is kind of a general question....

If you are currently a first time mom (young or not) and eithor haven't been around children, or just not sure how you are going to be able to cope with it, would you attend a new moms group, or look for a mentor?
Not someone you know, someone at like a planned parent hood type place.

I am strongly thinking of becoming a doula, and am wanting to start at the bottom with working with pregnant women. I live in a very high teenage pregnancy population, and want to help them however I can.

I had our first child at 19, and i'm now 25. We have three children now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• There was a mommy's group through my church that was really helpful for me when I was a new mommy. I didn't know all the women in the group, but I had at least seen their faces at church.
    Anonymous

• I think something that may help is by building them up, letting them know that they are the mom and to have the confidence to make ths choices for their children rather than getting confused by everyone else's advice. I thin kwhne your a new mom and have no clue what it means that there may be some confusion when everyone is telling you waht to do. I believe that when moms get to know their children (meaning are actively spending time with their children, there is a very strong bond and they will undertand their children's needs like no one else will. Many times what may seem like helpful tip reallyu interfer with the mom making the best decision. Also, encouraging that bonding time with their children. If there is no bonding then mommy may feel lost and helpless on how to meet her child's needs.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 7:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• just to let you know... I did have a lot of suupport and grew up around kids, but still I think that every mom goes through this.
    Precious333

• **OP**
    It wouldn't be a group to tell mom's what to do. It would just be support.
    If they were to have a question on. . .how often to change a diaper, the answer would be. . follow your babies ques. If they are dirty, change it! if they are wet, change it!
    I'm not going to be one to tell them how to raise their kids. Just be that shoulder, the rubber board to bounce stuff off, the ear they can chat off. I in NO way would be telling them how or what to do. It would be so they could just know that there are people out here that care, and will help if they need it!
    Anonymous

• I think this would be great. I wish there was something like that here the first time i was pregnant. Pregnancy is something that does weird things to you that sometimes you just need to talk about.
    Anonymous