Alternate Motrin and Tylenol?

Just wondering what your doc says. I was told today by a doctor to give Motrin, then 3 hours later give Tylenol, then 3 hours later give Motrin again, etc etc, as needed to control Felipe's fever. Then I was told by two different nurses NOT to do this. What have you been told lately?

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 7:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Health

• When my son was born, in '99 that's what they said to do for fevers that wouldn't break. Now they say it's not good b/c it's hard on the liver.

Fevers are good because they raise the body temp high enough to kill whatever's in there. it's only when the fever is too high for too long that they worry. I usually don't give my kids anything unless the fever is above 103. Then I just give tylenol and ice pops to keep them hydrated. Fevers are good, generally speaking. Uncomfortable, but they are the body's natural defense mech.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 8:36 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• when my child had scarlet fever a month ago the ER said do it just the way you have it and her doc has told me that before when she was really sick
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 7:51 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• How old is the child? Because young children aren't supposed to take motrin.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 7:58 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Over 6 months, but on the label it says 6 hours for ib profen and 4 hours for tylenol. I have cut some hours off when he was really sick, but 3 hours sounds really close together.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 8:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• yeah it work really well. Most doctors recommend it. My daughter is 2 and when she has had high fevers/pain/ her doc and ER have told me to alternate. That's what they do in hospitals. As long as it's ok with the doctor go ahead. If i don't feel comfortable with something sometimes i might just give my daughter a lil less medice.
    iri24

Answer by iri24 at 8:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• sunshine58103, the idea here is that each dose of Motrin would still be 6 hours after the last dose of Motrin; and each dose of Tylenol would still be six hours after the last dose of Tylenol; but you're alternating them, so the child gets a dose of one or the other every three hours. Does that make sense?

FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 8:13 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• i agree with saya. my kids have never had motirn or tylenol. we have never seen a fever go over 103, and i never had a fever in an infant under 8 months, i believe b/c i breast feed. i agree that drugs are too much for a tiny liver to have to process if they are not life or death medications. we let fevers and illnesses ride themselves out. we usually see improvement in a matter of hours as far as fever goes...we do keep them hydrated and comfortable.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:36 AM on Apr. 7, 2010