What can cause loose stools in dogs and... HELP..!!!

My dog has recently been neutered going on 2 weeks. When he came home from the vets his stool was loose, I have never had a problem like this before. Then his poop started to bulk back up.. then it would be loose again. He is in no pain, is still acting like his puppy self, isn't loosing weight, but he is having such bizarre stools. He has NEVER soiled his crate since we bought him and now he hasn't even been able to hold his poop anymore and has been having a lot of accidents in there... I am calling the vets tomorrow morning but does anyone have any clue as to what could cause this weird pooping pattern?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Pets

• Maybe antibiotics or anethesia?? Our dog has a sensitive tummy... when she's had loose stools, we've given her rice & boiled chicken or the i/d food (that they can prescribe). Good luck!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 8:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• good luck cleaning poops off of your floors.
    Anonymous

• beware of "gourmet" dog treats. stick with regular milkbone or regular popular-brand dog treats/food. We give our dogs Dog Chow and they like it just fine and are ok poopers. But once we gave them "gourmet" dog treats and they both got the runs-bad.
    jenjen9185

Answer by jenjen9185 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Anon-8:20

Really? That's all you had to say? I have been cleaning it off of his crate liner. He doesn't sleep anywhere in the house if were not awake besides his crate! I have no problem cleaning up his accidents, he is my baby. He doesn't poop on the floors of the house..

Mevxoxo- I thought possibly the same thing but it's been going on for a couple weeks now.. I am very confused why it goes from being loose to firm.?
    Anonymous

• He probably has worms. You can take a stool sample in to the vets to be checked. It should cost around $20. Since he is a puppy they may give him liquid medicine you have to give once a day for 10 days. Only give him a high quality dry food that says easy to digest. Canned food can cause loose stools. No treats.

Nutro and Bil Jac are foods I've used.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:36 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Haven't you taken him to the vet?!? 2 weeks is a long time!
    Anonymous

• If it is really bad you can give him a little pepto. I have had to give it to mine before. But definately call the vet tomorrow.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• OP HERE:

Thanks, I have checked it for worms, and I am not finding a single thing, maybe a parrasite or something not able to be seen by the eye. When you have a stool sample can they tell you right then and there what it is?
    Yes it has been about 2 weeks. But it isn't liquid diarrhea or anything like that, it's loose but not liquid. It has been quite confusing also because it isn't a constant thing. It has weird flare ups, and I am going to be calling the vets in the AM because he was just having wonderful poops yesterday and now it started again this afternoon.. So I am assuming something is going on that needs to be seen by the vet. Thanks again though! Will be bringing a stool sample tomorrow!
    Anonymous

• My dog had really loose stool to and my trainer told me to put sweet potatoe in her food. She loved it and it worked great! and it's cheap and healthy for them. You can bake a real one or if you get the canned kind make sure it's 100% sweet potatoe, you don't want to get the kind that is already sweetend and all the sugar in it. Let me know if you have any luck. I feel for sure you will.
    TyBryantsmom

Answer by TyBryantsmom at 11:28 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• plain canned pumpkin, the kind without sugar-not pumpkin pie filling which has sugar and other seasonings- is also good to firm up stools. it adds fiber to the dogs system and that is how it works. also he could hv a worm or parasite that u can not see with the naked eye. its a great idea to bring a stool sample -even it is not that runny type- to the vet when u go. some vets will check a stool sample without having to bring the dog over for a full exam. that way u dont incur a fee for the exam-- u just get charged for the test on the stool, and this would have been the first thing i would have done when he had several of the loose stools. some treatments depending on the specific parasite or problem seen in the stool can b treated with a single pill. a i always error on the side of the least amount of loose poop clean up!!. lol--alittle poop humor. good luck ! hope your puppy is back to his old firm pooping self very soon!
    emily1234

Answer by emily1234 at 12:43 AM on Apr. 9, 2010