Does this mean he isnt ready?

So...... my son is 3 1/2 yrs old. And this week is his spring break from pre-school so I figured now would be a good a time as any to tackle potty training.... however he will not go on the potty.... He will sit on the potty for the most part I've been having him go every half hour. But he just holds it... from the time he woke up this morning he held it until he went down for his nap (I even kept him up from his nap an hour later than usual HOPING he would finally go) and He jsut went in his pull up at nap time and then he hasnt gone since he woke up and it's been aobut 4 hours now!! So this is day 2 of him just holding it.... does that mean he isnt ready to potty train? I mean I think its a GREAT sign that he can hold it, but i dont know how to get him to understand that he is supposed to go on the potty, I let him pick out a treat at the store (hershey kisses) that he can have when he potties, but still nothing :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He is old enough. He may need a big incentive. One of my sons wasn't interested in potty training. We were at Target and he wanted a Big Wheel. I told him if we didn't have to buy diapers we could buy the Big Wheel. He never went in a diaper again. We went and got the Big Wheel.

Going to pre-school may be a problem. Even older kids don't want to go to the bathroom at school. He may not want to go to the bathroom at pre-school. Some people call day care pre-school. If this is some kind of program that will get over soon you may want to wait until then.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Unless he is delayed in some way, I don't think there's anything that means "not ready" at 3.5. I think it's more like, missed your window... good luck.
    Anonymous

• PULL UPS IS A NO! THEY THINK THEY ARE DIAPERS TOO MY SON WHO WILL BE 4 AUG 3OTH HAS BEEN POTTY TRAINED LIL OVER A MNTH
    I FINALLY JUST PUTT MY FOOT DOWN AND SAID NO MORE DIAPERS AND HE BEEN WEARING BIG BOY UNDIES AWHILE NOW
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 8:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• His Ped reccomended letting him pick out a big deal kind of toy that he wouldnt usually get, so he picked out this Optimus Prime that is huge and says all kinds of things when you push the button, and we have it out and he can only play with it when he goes pee in the potty (which he hasnt done yet) and it's just sitting here on the shelf where he can always see it, and everytime he asks to play with it I tell him when he goes pee in the potty he can play with it, and he will walk over to the potty but nothing comes out.

He is in a special education preschool at our Elementary school 4 days a week for 3 hours a day. That ends the end of May I believe... I also jsut realized we are probably going to be moving in a month, should I wait until after that, will that set him back if he does by some miracle start pottying soon?
    Anonymous

• Considering the fact that he can purposely hold it while wearing underwear, then he is ready to potty train. He is waiting for that pull-up to be put on to go and so he does. When I potty trained my son, I used a smaller form of bribery....M&M's. At first it was giving him a couple of M&M's for sitting on the potty, then I changed it to a couple if he lets out just a little bit of pee pee in the potty, then he had to let out a whole bunch of pee pee to get some. We always made a huge deal out of pee pee in the potty too. After he mastered peeing in the potty we moved on to M&M bribery for pooping in the potty.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:59 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• that is actually a good sign believe it or not. so now he knows he can Control crapping. and is using it to be completely controling and refusing to do it. it is a developmental step in the right direction. potty training is a long road. i rewarded my son for using the toilet. it was just easier then forcing him when he didnt want to. he was PTed just after his 3rd b-day.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Stupid question, but are you sure he's drinking enough water? I know kids can really really hold it, but I would just check, or even give him a treat drink, a juice or something, to encourage excess fluids so he has to go.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 10:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2010