Bird help!

I just got my first bird and I have no clue what to do! I ended up just buying one from Petco because the breeder was being dishonest with me. Its a parakeet. I need any info you have on the care of parakeets please!

jamesmommy12

Asked by jamesmommy12 at 8:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Pets

• He might not know where his food and water are, but he'll figure it out. Don't worry. Try hand feeding. It'll help him learn to trust you. Basically, take all the food from his cage while you're home and around him. Then put a little seed into your hand and offer it to him. Stay still and very calm, and be persistent.

I'm a bird nut and have three parakeets right now, including one that is going to be 9 years old this summer.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 9:40 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• what would you like to know? feel free to PM me.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 8:28 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I just got the bird yesterday but he or she doesn't seem to want to eat from his food and water bowls. He only wants the millet thingy that I hung in the cage.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 8:43 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Birds can get stressed pretty easily. Give it about a week with minimal attention (bring fresh food and water, talk to it a bit, but don't freak it out by staring at it all the time :) ), and try to wait that long before trying to hold or hand-feed it. Once he's used to the new home and the noises and such that come with that, he'll be eating and drinking normally, and more interested in its surroundings. If you just got the one bird, you can put a mirror in with it, birds are social creatures, and he'll see the mirror birdie as a friend.
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 3:22 AM on Apr. 7, 2010