Ac law?

Is there a law about having working AC in an apartment if the temp is above a certain amount? Do you know what it is and when I can find it?
(I live in VA)
THANKS!!!

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 8:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

• A/C shouldn't be working unless it was in working order and you agreed to and/or it was presently working at the time you moved in. If it was working when you moved in and the landlord is refusing to fix it, then you can dispute that it was under the terms of your agreement that the apartment came with A/C and it needs to be fixed. If it was not working and/or he didn't provide it for you then it does not have to be working, unless there is a medical issue that your doctor states you need to be cool...like siezures or whatever other health condition that exists. They MUST provide a working Heating unit. Every place is different in what they would consider an emergency. For example in the last place I lived, it was only considered an emergency if the outside temp was below 40 degrees. Same with A/C... if the temp outside was above 90. So it buys them a little time to get it fixed. See what your lease/rental agreement says.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Well I live in IL, and AC is NOT required by law, it's a privilege. HEAT is a law though, and landlords out here must provide working heat.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:51 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I agree with the above posters. I highly doubt you are going to find air conditioning considered a necessity in ANY state. You heat HEAT to live in the cold. You don't need AC to live in the heat. If you have issues with heat buy your own window unit, they aren't that expensive if they are small ones.
    MizusT

Answer by MizusT at 11:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I don't think there is a law anywhere about AC. I live in FL - and the law states we MUST have HEAT, nothing required for your cooling comfort, though!

You know...for some reason this never occured to me 5 or 6 years ago, when I livedn in Fl, in a duplex that had no heat...... LOL
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:17 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I don't think there is anything that legally requires the landlord to provide A/C, but there may be something on the books about having to maintain what is already in place. So, if your apt. has an A/C unit and you rented the apt. with the expectation that the A/C unit would be working, then the landlord must keep it in good repair or you could have the right to break your lease. Check with your local housing authority to be sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Depends on the unit.....IF your A/C is WITH your heating unit, they should keep this in working order. Otherwise, if it is seperate, then they are under no legal obligation to fix it. There is no A/C law for people without medical conditions such a seizure disorders or heart problems etc. , but there is a Heat law in most states.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2010