Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can a person from another country buy a house in the US?

my dad lives in africa,and he wants to buy a house .put the down payement and have me stay in there and paye the mortgage...he doesnt want to put it in my name bc i m married and my husband and i have a lot of problems and we think there will be a divorce soon,and in this case im gonna have to share the house with him,so if my dad buys the house if i do get a divorce i want have to give the house to my husband bc my dad is putting a lot of money down.what do u advice me?can he buy it?can he add me without my husband?if i do get a divorce do i still have to share it with my husband>what would you advice me?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (7)
  • Yes, he can. As to rhe other questios, best get advice from a lawyer rather than online.

    Answer by janet116 at 10:54 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

  • It's very hard, if your income is not from the US.  I know this because my grandmother who lives in Canada was unable to buy a house here in the US, it got too complicated.


    Answer by coffee.crisp at 12:39 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

  • My husbands friends parents bought a house before coming here. They are from New Zealand. As far as I know it was not hard.

    Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:22 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

  • The mortgage industry has changed drastically over the last 2 years because of the foreclosure issue. Most lenders are not lending to anyone outside of the country not being paid in US dollars. I know a couple that lives in Africa but she is employed by BP so they were able to do the loan because they are US citizens and she is paid in US dollars.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

  • Any person with money can buy property in the US. There are no laws prohibiting non-citizens from owning property in this country. Your father's capacity to get a mortgage with a US-based bank is totally dependent on his income and credit history.

    Any property with your name on it acquired during marriage, even if it is a gift, is subject to review in a divorce. State laws differ greatly, but many states have a 50/50 law-- you split everything half and half. Don't put your name on the deed, mortgage, anything.

    You can live in a mansion or a card board box, but if you have no mortgage, deed, lease agreement, or any document saying it is yours, you are simply a guest. You can be a guest anywhere. Being a guest in your father's home does not give your husband a claim to it in a divorce. even if you are helping to pay the mortgage. Keep your name off it.

    Answer by ecodani at 8:44 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

  • ecodani gave the best advice. Your father should check into getting the mortgage where he is in Africa. He might also be able to give you power of atterny so you can sign documents in his name here. Otherwise he may have to come here for the closing. I've closed on a house for my parents with limited power of atterney because I lived closer to the HUD office. I went to the HUD office for the closing with all the paperwork in order so they didn't have to drive 200 miles. I signed a milion times, but my name didn't go on the deed or anything. I was just signing for them.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

  • How kind of your Father! Yes, non citizens can own homes here in the US. You have received lots of good advice as far as how to protect the home from an impending divorce. Good luck to you!

    Answer by soyousay at 9:36 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.