hi im trying to relactate and my son is almost a year. i havnt lactated for like seven months and i was wondering if this thought is crazy? should i just quit? has anyone went through this before?

i really dont want to take drugs, maybe some natural herbs that are legal. what should i do?? is it wrong to introduce the breast at ten and a half months?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is it wrong? That is all your choice, you do what you feel is best. But he may have forgotten how to nurse. He may not have the sucking reflex anymore.
    Anonymous

• Herbs are dangerous drugs. Since they aren't regulated you don't know what you are getting.

Why do you think it would be wrong? What's going on? The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for at least 2 years.

Some of the reasons a woman may relactate or induce lactation with an older baby are; digestive problems, health problems, or adoption.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:35 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• It is not too late and you are not crazy :-) I know a mom who induced lactation for her baby who she adopted at 18 months old. Your baby is much younger than that! I am currently breastfeeding an adopted baby, so I know all about relactating. Feel free to pm me. Another good place to get info/support would be a La Leche League Leader, and you can join the LLL discussion group here on cafemom at http://www.cafemom.com/group/7722

Check out the info at Relactation and Adoptive Breastfeeding

Get yourself an At breast Supplementer

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:21 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I don't know anything about relactating, but am currently breastfeeding my 3rd child and just wanted to wish you luck.

My 2nd child self weaned at 10.5 months due to thrush. I had a 3 month long terrible battle with thrush and was still nursing through it. Then one day he wouldn't nurse at all; he just screamed at the breast and I knew he was hungry. He had thrush so bad in his mouth that he didn't want to nurse. So, out of desperation I made a bottle for him out of a sample of free formula that Enfamil had mailed me (other wise I wouldn't have even had formula in the house). And I never got him back on the breast again. I worked with my OB, his pediatrician, and my hospital's head LC and we never got him back on the breast. :( I even tried nursing the very next feeding after the one bottle.

If you relactate but fail to get your little one to latch back on, you could always pump.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:21 AM on Apr. 7, 2010