Does anyone know of there is a limit to number of c-sections?

I had a difficult, 4 day long labor with first child and finally demanded a c-section. While I was in the recovery room the doctor told me I made the smart choice...which confused me because she didn't want to do a c-section. Turns out I have a narrow pelvic bone and can not deliver a full term baby without a c-section. The doctor told me I probably wouldn't be able to pass any baby weighing more than 4 to 5 lbs. So I had a planned c-section with my second daughter, they followed the scar from my first c-section. I hope to have more children in the future but I've heard on other community-based websites that there's a certain number of c-sections you can have before it becomes dangerous for both mother and baby.

momof2inCT2007

Asked by momof2inCT2007 at 9:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Everyone one's body is different, so I would talk to your OB about it. I'm going to have a C section in July, and have my doctor make note of my scar tissue etc because I want to know the possibility in the future. some people can handle a couple, and i've heard of other stories where people have had 8+
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 9:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• depends o the doctor. My mom had four and then her ob suggested her to have her tubes tied. Some moms have more, but with each c-sec comes more risk.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 9:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• i have heard of a woman going in for her 8th c section - she had 8 vaginally before... no there is not a limit. if your body cannot pass a child the other way. you have to have a c section. you might have to get a zipper cut (belly button down :( but i dont think there is a stated limit ... if you are pregs and going to have the baby, the are supposed to do whatever is safest for both of you.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Your pelvis widens during birth; squatting widens your pelvis over 20%. I'm guessing that you on your back. True cephalopelvic disproportion is rare in the modern woman.

The place to learn about V-BACS is the ICAN website.

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 9:43 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• There isn't a set limit. But your body does have a greater risk of problems as you have more. After my second, I had a ton of problems which finally resulted in having a hysterectomy. It all depends upon your body.

Also, they usually remove the scar tissue from your previous sections before stitching you back up... so they are not creating more or working around what is already there.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I'm having this worry too. I don't want to be limited on babies, but I also couldn't push my baby out. I've looked at all the options and it looks best to have another c-section. I guess you just keep going until your body won't let you anymore.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 9:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Yuck!
    Anonymous

• I had three c-sections and my OB said a 4th would be a huge risk for both the baby and me. I grew an extensive amount of scar tissue that had attached itself to my bladder. So we are stopping at three and feel very blessed and lucky to have them! It all depends on your body. Just talk with your doctor.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 9:53 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I have had 3, When I had my last, my OB made the comment that I had VERY LITTLE scar tissue, but I stopped anyways.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 11:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• You still have the choice of a vbac. Do not rule it out until you have exhausted every option. Michelle Duggar has had 4, including this last child.
    squish

Answer by squish at 4:05 AM on Apr. 7, 2010