Dental & Vision rarely included in Health Insurance pkgs - Thoughts?

http://www.dentalcare.com/en-AU/products/promotion_sa.jspx

Scientific American Presents Oral and Whole Body Health
Enjoy this special supplement of Scientific American

It's been proven time and again there is a direct correlation between oral health and overall physical health.

So why then do we seem ok with viewing dental and vision coverage as secondary options on medical insurance?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't agree with this either. I believe oral health is as important as physical health.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 10:08 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• On top of that Dentists are so expensive, and so if you don't have much money, your mouth can go too pot as well as the rest of you. Cause you just can't afford it. And most dentists, at least in my area, want their money up front. It makes it hard on those of us who don't have much.
    Anonymous

• I want to be clear - I should have put this in the OP - this isn't about the health care reform bill - simply medical insurance in general and the way most of us simply accept what is offered without question.

Most (perhaps there are some that do) medical insurance policies do not cover dental or vision; you must add them additionally. Why do we do business with these companies? Why don't we call for them to make all inclusive packages?

Before anyone says well your still paying more; yes but not as much - since when they bundle packages they're able to lower costs due to bulk purchases/sales.

~OP
    Anonymous

• OP - my husband's employer "bundles" medical and dental, but not vision. We pay only about $6 per week for family dental - which is bundled with medical. (Total is $72/week). We are extremely lucky - as all preventative is 100% covered - everything else is 80/20. My eleven year old recently had to have a root canal after busting a tooth...we only paid $350.

However, like I said, we're lucky. I agree and think that they should be included and bundled with medical anyway. We haven't had decent vision coverage in years, so I have to save up every year since I have horrible vision.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Wah!!! You ARE lucky Fawn80!! Tell him that job's a keeper!

~OP
    Anonymous

• My dhs company shares the cost of vision and dental just as they do medical but we do pay separately for it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:52 AM on Apr. 7, 2010