Do you believe a mom who doesnt vax her child.......

Ok I got this from a law & order SVu episode...( I will basically descibe what happend int he episode and then you say if you agree with it)

A little girl ( i think 2 years old) died ( at first they thought it was the mom, who admitted to being mad at her because she was whiny and smacking her, and originally thinking she killed her and buried her) .......Anyways they found out she died from measels, which she got from a 4 year old little boy who wasnt vaxed ( his mom chose not to, because she felt the risks were too high) .they took the mom to court on murder charges ( she was found not guilty) but basically everyone seen her as a murderer...

do you think since she didnt vax her child she should be reliable for the other childs death...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I've seen that episode before and just watched it again. The little girl is under 12 months and that's why she couldn't get vaccinated for measles. And no, I don't think she should have been charged with anything. That mom should have taken/called the doctor if her kid had a rash and a fever.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• in some cases yes the kid would because some babies arent old enough to have the vaccines for that and could catch that and it would be that child fault
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Yes
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I wonder if the mom ( ive seen that episode too) ..would have taken her to the Dr, couldnt they have treated it ? She would have had some symptoms ( i am pretty sure in the show she said the baby had a rash or fever ?) ....in that case the child who died mother would be at fault IMO ...otherwise wouldnt that open the door for, if someone say, had the flu and knowingly went out in public and gave someon else the flu and then that person died.... would they be at fault too?
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 10:24 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• When (and maybe where) I grew up you did not vaxinate for the regular childhood deseases like measels, the mumps, chicken pox etc. and we're just fine - by getting the sickness you develope imunities naturally, and many kids today have serious complications due to immunization.

We choose to have our kids vaxinated but I strongly feel it should be up to the individual parent, and under no circumstances should the parents have been charged w/ anything.

Just my five cents :-)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 10:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• yes, if the child was old enough to get vaccinated.
    Anonymous

• She didn't walk her child up to the other one and say cough, lick and touch her until she catches measles. So, she shouldn't be at fault. IMO
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:34 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• How can anyone be sure that the measels came from the boy. What if the boy and the baby were infected by the same person?
    Anonymous

• no. because vaccinations aren't guaranteed to protect against that stuff. you cannot charge a mother for doing what they feel is best for their family. goes against civil rights.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 11:32 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• it is my understanding that the mmr is a live vaccine, so really exposure to a recently vaccinated child could spread the disease as well. so, no i don't think the mother of the unvaccinated child is guilty of any wrong doing. i think the mother of the deceased child is still guilty of neglect...assuming there were signs of illness, like fever and rash. and of course, let us not forget her child dying, and she buried her and hid the death. like jcsmummy said, vaccinated children do not have guaranteed protection either.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:14 AM on Apr. 7, 2010