How would you talk to your child about the hate?

There are some good discussions about gay teens and their rights. It reminded me of an event on Easter Sunday. I was driving down the street with my son and husband to go to the park. Nice day out and there was a protest going on. They held up signs about gays burning in hell, quotes of scripture, and other signs blaming out American troubles on homosexuals. What caught my attention was not how they were dressed (in some sort of costume) but that they had young children with them. Children handing out "information." I was so disturbed to see young children used to spread hate. My son asked why I was disgusted. How do you explain "hate" to a young child? I just said that you know how you are taught at school to be a peace maker (lesson they had been currently working on) - well they are not peace makers they are trouble makers. They teach hate. How would you have explained it? I should not have had to explain

frogdawg

Asked by frogdawg at 10:17 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• When DS was in kindergarten, part of the anti-bullying program was a lesson that everyone has a bucket. When you are nice to people and do good things, you fill their bucket and your own. When you are mean to them and do bad things, you empty their bucket and your own. They very heavily stressed that what you do, good or bad, comes back to you as much as it affects the other person. That lesson has stuck with him, so we can frame things like this in terms of emptying buckets. A protest like that would be a lot of people trying to empty everyone's bucket, and he would pity them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:24 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• the idea of hating someone to a young child. He had eyes and he could hear them shouting. Not explaining wasn't really an option since people were honking in support and others were less than supportive. It was a scene to be sure.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:18 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Maybe just teach your son "beliefs". "Some people believe in things others do not". Raise him with an open mind, and and he will make the right choices.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• WTF, where do you live? I call it domestic terrorism. My friend saw a bunch of neo nazis the other day. I tell my son that we are not like them because we are the good guys.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 10:24 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• South. But I don't kid myself, I know these protests happen every place. I was just sad to see children used in such a way where they didn't even have any idea about what they were saying or doing. They had to have known they would also get some very angry responses and were okay with their children being caught up in the middle.  Putting your child in that situation really disturbed me.  I just can't get the images out of my mind - kids walking up to cars, as young as five, smiling, and saying God burns sodomites.  Seriously?  They don't even know what they are really saying!  Its one thing to be an adult and protest...but to actually use your child as an instrument to deliver your message.  My husband said it didn't matter if the kids were there or not protesting on the street.  They obviously will get their parents' message loud and clear at home. 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:36 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I would like my son to be open minded and have a kind heart.
    i once got a phone call from a mother from school concerning my ex's daughter. The mother told me that she had been teasing her son to the point to where she was going to pull him out of school. I was fuming mad. When she got home that night i started picking at her. I told her that she was getting fat and she had some pimples...and i couldnt believe she wore that to school...i made her cry. Then i told her i was playing. I told her i just wanted her to feel the pain that she has been making the other kid feel and what its like to feel that way. She got on the phone and apologized and didnt have a.ny problems after that.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:38 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• i'm still looking at your question and am kinda speechless... i don't really know what i would tell my child. What i said above was just something kinda that reminded me of this. I guess its more of a bullying incident though. hmm, i guess i would just tell my son (at the young age of 5) that some people are just so silly and want to be mean to each other but its not nice to be that way and you should be nice to everybody.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:51 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Tell your child that that's what it means to be a republican-to hate everyone that isn't a "christian".
    Anonymous

Why would you want her to lie to her child? Not all republicans are Christians, and there are more than enough hateful idiots who vote Dem. Ever heard of Code Pink?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

I call it freedom of speech.  You don't have to like it, but you do have to respect the freedom.

Tell your child that that's what it means to be a republican-to hate everyone that isn't a "christian".

_____________________________________________________________________________

I am a Republican.  I am not a Christian.  Your answer isn't a valid one.

Anonymous