Recurring diarrhea and what to do?

My 7 month old daughter starting getting diarrhea about 3 weeks ago while on vacation, and it has come and gone and come back since then. She keeps getting it. Her Ped said that its normal while teething, or could be a virus. Is there anything I can do to help prevent this? Sorry, this might be a stupid question, its just my daughter has very sensitive skin and just when it seems like her diaper rash is gone, she gets the diarrhea, and I cant get rid of it. I feel so bad for her. I have been soaking her bottom a few times a day in the tub, and using the clear desitin. Thanks everyone who responds.

Sillybillymel

Asked by Sillybillymel at 10:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You definitely need to take her off of fruit. You don't give fruit (accept bananas) to a baby or toddler with diarrhea. A virus would not last 3 weeks and I've also never seen teething diarrhea linger this long. Is it possible that it is a food allergy? Start eliminating foods. If it appears to be a food allergy, you need to find a good pediatric allergist.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:53 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• If she is breastfed you can go back to just breastfeeding when she is having diarrhea. Breastmilk is easily digested and will allow her digestive system to get back to normal.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I have 3 suggestions.
    1) take her off of all fruit for a week. It is very common for a baby to become fructose intolerant until age 2 or 3
    2) Try rmoving all dairy from the diet less common but reasonable is lactose intolerance. Also usually until age 2 or 3.
    3) yuo can get at your pharmacy a supplement call florastor-kids. It is a bxs of single serving good bacteria. You mix it in food or drink 2 X daily for about 3 days it does wonders for viral diarrhea. Sometimes they get diarrhea - this causes them to loose a lot of there natural good bacteria which then causes diarrhea ect...

Talk to your doctor of course before trying any of this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I havent introduced fruits. I have been feeding her veggies for about 2 months. Would she develop a food allergy it has been a month since I have introduced any new foods. Thanks for all the info. I am going to try some of those. The ped told me to stop solids because of the diarrhea. thank you very much.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 11:16 AM on Apr. 7, 2010