Is your dtr getting the Gardasil vaccine for HPV & have you heard any bad reactions from it?

My dtr got her first but I hate these newer vaccines. I feel like they don't know enough about them. And now I'm hearing about girls getting sick a lot after them...

mnews

Asked by mnews at 10:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Kids' Health

• i dont have a daughter but i have read about the vaccine (im still in the age range where its recommended i get it) which i will not be. in one year there were 8 deaths related to it and 25% of all reported vaccine side effects were from that one. i think it is too new and was put out too quickly. this information was in Parenting magazine and i believe the stats were from 2007.
    Luv_My_JuJuBean

Answer by Luv_My_JuJuBean at 10:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I am not going to get it for my DD. I don't trust new vaccines, and I think that this is something that is marketed as more necessary than it really is. 75% of women have HPV and most of the times it doesn't turn into anything. Gardasil also doesn't protect against all forms of HPV, so that cuts down its affectiveness too. I would wait a few more, 5-10, years before considering it, just to make sure.
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 10:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Stay away from it, there are complications with it and the reason they are pushing it is it costs $250 a shot. Also there is no clinical data that it protects people from what they are insinuating it protects the girls from. Check out utube. Eileen
    EileenMarie

Answer by EileenMarie at 11:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• HPV vaccine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    In November 2007, Merck presented new data on Gardasil. This data indicated that in an investigational study, their HPV vaccine reduced incidence of HPV 6, ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_papillomavirus_vaccine -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:21 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• i think its okay she got part of it she needs 2 more of them to catch up
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 3:55 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• its too new - the vacines need alot of testing done b4 put on the market and its illegal to do human testing so they just approve it and let the symptoms come out of the vacinations.
    did you know that the 1st polio vacination GAVE polio to people? my uncles son has polio because of it! they didnt find that result in the test subjects and they put it on the market then it started showing up - it was realy bad!
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 4:08 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Merck has tested the vaccine in only a few hundred 11- and 12-year-old girls.[6] On February 27, 2006, the independent Data and Safety Monitoring Board recommended the clinical trials be terminated on ethical grounds
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 4:12 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Well i am looking into this for sure. I was dignosed with cervical cancer when my son was 6 wks old I dont want my daughter or anyones to go thru what I did with chemo and external radiation and internal radiation. so I pray it will work and we keep healthy daughters!
    Sarah
    1boy1girl4me

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 3:47 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I am in the age range and refuse to get it. It is too new, pushed through testing too quickly and there have been too many negative side effects reported for me to feel comfortable with it. Also it only protects against 4 out of the hundreds of strains of HPV. Maybe in another 10 years I would think about letting my daughter get it (if I have one since I will be out of the age range then) if reports of it start getting better instead of worse.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• It is really not that new. It has been studied over 5 years. IT IS A VACCINE FOR CANCER! We give it to all of our teenage girls in our practice, and have not had ANY complications. That is thousands of girls in 3 years. Soreness is the only problem we have had. I would recommend it to girls over the age of 13. You need it BEFORE you become sexually active, and I have to remind my mom's that even though your daughter may not be sexually active, you have to think of the non-consensual sex. (Rape) i knwo that is not something you want to think about, but in this day and age it happens. Especially to college girls.
    Anonymous