Why is baby talk so dumb to you?

I understand that after a while a child does need to talk like a young adult,but the whole its dumb to talk to a baby like a BABY,i don't understand even if you were to talk to them normally they still don't have the language skills they need to talk the way you are so why not wait til they are old enough to understand before you bash the fact they cant talk the way you do?

mommy16love

Asked by mommy16love at 10:54 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't let anyone speak to our boys in "baby talk". If you speak normal then they will learn the correct way to speak from the start. JMO anyway...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Because babies need to learn to mimic sounds and speak. Using baby talk just reinforces bad speech.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:58 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• I talk to my son as a PERSON, not just a baby. I think that in order to teach our children how to speak properly, we shouldnt use "baby talk" on a regular basis. We NEVER call his bottle a "baba" because its not a word! We do make sounds together and encourage him to make all the sounds he can, we just dont use fake words to help him.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 10:59 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• i never baby talked to my son and i got mad at people who did. I did goo and gaa at him when he was like two wks old but thats about it. babies need to know what the correct word for something is or they'll end up in pre school wanting a baba or a dink dink..and banky...you should teach them the right way so you don't have to do it twice.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:59 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Is scientifically proven that baby's brain is sophisticated. Baby's know when someone is talking "baby talk" and when someone is talking "normal talk". Baby's enjoy any talk as long as someone is talking. LOL
    Anonymous

• Even though babies can't speak themselves, they understand most of what you're saying by the time they're 9 months old.

I think it's definitely a good idea to talk extra slowly and clearly to a baby or toddler...but yeah, substitute baby or fake words can be confusing to them.
    Anonymous

• there are times when my daughter is just talking in her little language shes 8 months she only knows about 4 words now and ill talk to her like were having a conversation but there are a few things i say that are in baby talk its not the worst thing in the world,i still read her books still talk to her on other levels...and shes fine i guess i just dont see the big deal about it ..but thats just me
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 11:04 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• i still read books to her**
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 11:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• good things i did with my son at that age was teaching him to do stuff like clap and throw the ball...also i'd say show me your tounge and i would stick mine out and he would do his when i'd say it. Then all the other parts too...belly button, wink your eyes, It would be soooo cute cuz i'd say "let me see you wink" and he would try, except he would be blinking both his eyes. Oh, i love that age.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• Well, I talked like an adult to my son until he was older, then, I baby talked him. LOL He is 14 and I still do... But, he talked at 7 months and was speaking sentences at 1 and paragraphs/convos at 18 months. His vocabulary was/is WAY above average.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:17 PM on Apr. 6, 2010