How old was/is your baby when you could make out what they say?

My Alexia is 8 months old and sometimes it surprises me what she says. Mostly is baby talk but once in a while we can understand her saying a few words. First word was mama, then we swear we heard her say okay whatever and yesterday I herad her say my name "Erika"... So just wondering what have your babied been saying....

lilangel_4206

Asked by lilangel_4206 at 11:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 8 months, my son had a few words...Mama, tag, truck...by 1 he said sentences and by 18 months was paragraph/covos. By the time he said Mama at 7 months, he was saying a new word a day/week almost.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:01 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• As a parent you must hear things different than other people and get used to your child's way of speaking. I have a video of when my DD was a toddler. She is talking to me and I am answering her, but I can't make out a word she's saying now! I hear it and can't make heads or tails of it. I must have understood at the time.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:06 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• My son was understood by everyone from the first word on. No issues with that. In fact, my step-mom mde fun of him because he spoke so well and enunciated everything.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:13 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I always understood my daughter, her first word was ba ba. Don't talk to her in baby talk. Also read to her as much as possible!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• thanks
    lilangel_4206

Answer by lilangel_4206 at 12:39 AM on Apr. 7, 2010