Crappy landlord worth it??

I live in a very small town and the only available rentals around town have really crappy landlords.. I currently live with my parents with my son. Is it worth it to get out on my own with a crappy landlord or should i keep saving and hope a cheap(very cheap) house comes along???

Mamakat90

Asked by Mamakat90 at 11:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I'd stay with the parents. My house is operated my a company and they suck. I'm actually getting out of my lease early because they suck so bad.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:34 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• how do you know for a fact that all the landlords in your town are crappy?
    Anonymous

• Having crappy landlords isn't worth the stress if your parents allow you to stay with them do it.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 11:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• If you are happy with your current living situation, then I would stay & continue to save as much $$ as possible towards my own place. However, if you are unhappy w/your current living situation, then you may want to start looking at other places to live. Feel out the landlords and judge for yourself if they are all really "crappy", because unless you've actually dealt with them yourself, you have no way of really knowing, now do you? Unhappy tenants can be just as "crappy" and say some not so nice things, so trust your own judgement instead.
    Anonymous

• I agree that if you're happy now, stick with your parents to save money. If not, find a decent place you actually like and look into making sure everything works properly before you sign papers and move in. Just in case something goes wrong, possibly get a written agreement from the landlord where he agrees to do whatever in a timely matter. In an ideal renting situation, you shouldn't need to see your landlord for more than inspections or repairs and s/he should stay out of your hair for the most part. Also you might look into a good lawyer beforehand and have his number on hand. We rented a home and when we got our water turned on, the entire kitchen flooded in seconds. He tried to pin blame on us and couldn't because I had witnesses in the water man and my mother AND I had a good lawyer to ensure we got our money back.
    Anonymous